Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Two New Snakes .. [6]

yeah, could be a risk, no one said they should be kept together. it is like you chose to drive and got in an accident if you don't pay attention. actually they meant rare with king snakes, so less than corns? my corn kids, what if they like to be together? don't want to bother if they do, unable to apart them eventually.

thought so, the heart-shape on the head - thanks for the link.

Also, you are keeping a male and female together. Which means they may (and probably will) breed. If the female is not large enough she could egg bind which can result in death.

I'm not trying to be mean, it's just that I've done a lot of research when it comes to reptiles and I'd hate to see something bad happen to your lovely pair.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

the snakes are gorgeous gina... i'm sure if you see any signs of aggression you'll separate them. let''s focus on the positive

Nobody was focusing on the negative, but it's a good idea to let people know of the possible risks of certain housing situations, in case they didn't realize it. Kimmy is absolutely right about everything she had said. You don't see any signs of aggression, you just have a missing snake IF that happens. I have two baby snow corn snakes and a 6 foot Red Tailed Boa, and there are things eveyrone who owns snakes should know, especially if they are new to them. Nobody said anything wrong to Gina, mean or any other way, it was simply information, and correct information. It CAN happen, and whether it's rare or not it happens. There is no reason to say Kimmy is being negative for passing on true information about potential problems. At least now Gina can make an informed decision about how to house them.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

well, someone is making this a big deal while it should not be - I think that's what she means. yes, it can happen but this is not a perfect world and anything can happen. I mean, a cat have eaten a human before and if this is common and correct, why would a reputable breeder hand me two snakes and say it's okay to be together?

they're my first snakes doesn't mean I haven't done any or little research, especially I've spoke with two breeders (who each keeps 20+ tanks with 5+ hatchlings in each for 8+ years) and even especially after I've lost my very first one. I also looked at the forum (link given above) also, not all of them are the breeders and not all of them are responsible owners like some on here so I am more of to tend on experiences than 'texts on internet' alone. it's nice to know someone cares about my snakes, I'd still research more about this though for a better knowledge and again, do not plan to keep them in same tank.

vela, I didn't know you had snow corn snakes! how come you didn't post them yet, I'd love to meet them.

Quote Originally Posted by sandragonfly
    [color=slateblue]well, someone is making this a big deal while it should not be - I think that's what she means. yes, it can happen but this is not a perfect world and anything can happen. I mean, a cat have eaten a human before and if this is common and correct, why would a reputable breeder hand me two snakes and say it's okay to be together?
    I don't see anyone making a big deal. Ramanth is giving you information and her opinion, what you do is up to you. I don't think it is kind to dismiss her.

Your snakes are very pretty, I love the red/orange one, he is so striking!

I can't wait to have kids so that I can let them have cool pets, and not be known as that crazy lady down the road with 20439098375 animals (I already have that rep here, don't want to encourage it, haha).

Hope to see some more pics as they grow.

dismiss? just stating what I think jenn means as I don't see anything negative here.

yeah I know what you mean, trying to vary the animals here myself - I love all of them. all S's too, skunks, snakes, slugs, snails, you name it. people/friends think I'm a crazy cat lady or cats are my favorite animal - thirteen cats here. due to population, cats/strays/ferals/kittens are easier to rescue.

thank you! and you will, as long as not every threads are about seperating them.

I am sure you mean no harm to any creature, but I honestly do not understand why you are so easily offended when someone simply has the animals best interest at heart. Ramanth is very passionate about her reptiles yet you just brush her concern aside like its crumbs from your lunch. I just do not understand why you keep bringing animals (cats, sugar gliders, snakes etc) into your home when things are so unstable for you right now.

it can happen but this is not a perfect world and anything can happen
    this is very very true since you yourself have been there.
    Last edited by shais_mom; 11-17-2007 at 11:59 PM.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Quote Originally Posted by ramanth
    These two hatchlings were the same size:

Talk to just about any snake breeder and they'll tell you cannabalism is found more often with hatchlings than adults.

Just FYI.
    oh that picture is sad.. isn't that a king snake?
    Ramanth knows you have corn snakes she wouldn't post a pic of a different snake to confuse you.
    I just don't understand why you get so bent when people try to give you advice.

The Scorpion and the Frog
    One day, a scorpion looked around at the mountain where he lived and decided that he wanted a change. So he set out on a journey through the forests and hills. He climbed over rocks and under vines and kept going until he reached a river.
    The river was wide and swift, and the scorpion stopped to reconsider the situation. He couldn't see any way across. So he ran upriver and then checked downriver, all the while thinking that he might have to turn back.

Suddenly, he saw a frog sitting in the rushes by the bank of the stream on the other side of the river. He decided to ask the frog for help getting across the stream.

"Hellooo Mr. Frog!" called the scorpion across the water, "Would you be so kind as to give me a ride on your back across the river?"

"Well now, Mr. Scorpion! How do I know that if I try to help you, you wont try to kill me?" asked the frog hesitantly.

"Because," the scorpion replied, "If I try to kill you, then I would die too, for you see I cannot swim!"

Now this seemed to make sense to the frog. But he asked. "What about when I get close to the bank? You could still try to kill me and get back to the shore!"

"This is true," agreed the scorpion, "But then I wouldn't be able to get to the other side of the river!"

"Alright then...how do I know you wont just wait till we get to the other side and THEN kill me?" said the frog.

"Ahh...," crooned the scorpion, "Because you see, once you've taken me to the other side of this river, I will be so grateful for your help, that it would hardly be fair to reward you with death, now would it?!"

So the frog agreed to take the scorpion across the river. He swam over to the bank and settled himself near the mud to pick up his passenger. The scorpion crawled onto the frog's back, his sharp claws prickling into the frog's soft hide, and the frog slid into the river. The muddy water swirled around them, but the frog stayed near the surface so the scorpion would not drown. He kicked strongly through the first half of the stream, his flippers paddling wildly against the current.

Halfway across the river, the frog suddenly felt a sharp sting in his back and, out of the corner of his eye, saw the scorpion remove his stinger from the frog's back. A deadening numbness began to creep into his limbs.

"You fool!" croaked the frog, "Now we shall both die! Why on earth did you do that?"

The scorpion shrugged, and did a little jig on the drownings frog's back.

"I could not help myself. It is my nature."

Then they both sank into the muddy waters of the swiftly flowing river.

Self destruction - "Its my Nature", said the Scorpion...
    An Interesting article regarding this fable

After I lost my corn snake (that was exactly like Hobbes and went missing like Hobbes) I got another but I did the same as you and oddly enough I got the exact same ones. A ghost and another Albino. I kept them together too (always fed seperate) and there were no problems. Now I had a huge tank and they had tons of their own hiding spots. The place I got them from (a huge reptile store) always had the babies and young corns in the same tank. Not saying it's right but I guess alot of people just don't know.

I would listen to Ramantha though as she seems to know ALOT about her reptiles and you are new to owning them.
    I also want to say the place I got mine from the guy was very very knowlagable and bred corn snakes too and never sperated them so doesn't mean your breeder friends exactly know what they are talking about.

These were my guys
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee