Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two New Snakes .. [6]

Two New Snakes .. [6]

some of you know I just lost my best (still is and always will be) corn friend, hobbes - I've been grieving over this for too long time now. I told my friend (who gave me him) what happened and she gave me her baby ghost corn girl then surprised me with hobbes' brother the next day. I was happy and teary at the same time, the new cornboy and hobbes look so much alike - except for two hearts on his head; red and orange and afterall, it's his last brother.

he, of course was a bit bigger when landed into my hand....has been a while. the girl's personality is SO much like hobbes too, only a little younger. I feel honored to have them and no one can ever or will replace my little boy I lost - they have just let me love the snakes again and have been helping my grief very much.. sometimes it's still hard to look at the boy. so, without further ado...

please welcome falloweena!

pink cheeks!

and candlelight!

double hearts
    (call him coeur if you like too - heart in french)..

and both together..

smiling

thanks for looking.
    rest and sleep softly sweet locke..

Aww they're so cute! I love Candlelights bright colors, but I also like the coloring of Falloweena.
    Welcome to the newest members of the ark!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

They're both beautiful. I don't even much like snakes, but these two are stunning! Gina, you are so wonderful to share your love with all of the animals of the world.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

wow they are so beautiful. it is wonderful that you could get hobbes' brother. now a little part of him kinda lives on with his brother.

Pets of the Day so far ...
    BOOF, HONEY & BUNNIKINS

CLICK HERE to see all my pets past and present...

Click Here to go to my Petster account.

Click here to see some of my pet videos on YouTube.

What gorgeous colors Candlelight has! Falloweena is very pretty as well! Glad that your friend was able to part with them, knowing they would make you happy!

AHHH! THERE SO BEAUTIFUL!

They make the sweetest couple of snakes I've ever seen!

Aww congratz on your new reptile babies, they are indeed aodrable.

Wow so neat looking they are! I'm so glad you got some more snakes and can once again enjoy them. And I can't believe how much it does actually look like they are smiling

Kalei
    I will love you forever Bobo

Congrats on the new additions. You're not keeping them in the same tank are you? Snakes aren't really social critters and can turn cannabalistic.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

thank you everyone for the welcome and compliments.

kim, no they're not really social critters but they won't kill each other unless one is bigger than the other. both are friendly though, they have been wrapping each other warm sleeping but I do not plan to keep them both in the same tank when they grow big - they're just tiny right now.

These two hatchlings were the same size:

Talk to just about any snake breeder and they'll tell you cannabalism is found more often with hatchlings than adults.

Just FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by ramanth

These two hatchlings were the same size ...
    I can't see the "second one" ... or was that the *point*??

Maybe those lumps & bumps on #1 define the location of #2?

How unfriendly!

Yeah. Sadly baby snakes eat other baby snakes.

And then typically the baby snake that did the eating ends up dying too because the "meal" was too large. So then you end up not losing only one but two snakes.

Congrats on the new additions. They are so beautiful. I love Candelight's color, but Falloweena's markings are gorgous!
    Last edited by KittyGurl; 11-15-2007 at 06:02 AM. Reason: spelling
    Thank you so much for my siggy, kittycats_delight!

oh that picture is sad.. isn't that a king snake? I'd like the link of that picture you got from please. I love to learn something new about animals everyday.

my friend who gave me them is a breeder, she told me what I said in my previous post. I talked with her again to be sure, she never had this happened to her 100+ hatchlings and have always kept the babies altogether until adopted out - though said "cannabalism is possible but is extremely rare," especially with friendly corns. I showed her that picture, we agreed this could happen to anyone who aren't fed seperately or wasn't being fed, taken care of well.

but you have stressed me enough - my heart cannot afford losing another one or the worst, two - so I called the snake breeder I know (with a federal license) for second opinion first thing this morning. I filled him in with my two corns and the concern, he then said "that's totally erroneous. they don't eat each other under normal circumstances." and then mentioned about kings, "the corn snakes don't normally eat each other like king snakes - the only exemption should be under fed." again, said the same thing, rarely happens.

so.. my corn kiddies are fed 5-7 days with medium pinkies, seperately of course, and are in new large tank with right temperature. all I am doing is following the instructions lol. I've had them for about week now, they seem great together. thanks though, I appreciate your concern.

thank you kittygurl!

That's a cornsnake, not a king snake.

That picture and the majority of my research comes from Cornsnakes.com

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/

Just because it's rare doesn't mean it can't happen. I just don't feel it's worth the risk personally. I'd never forgive myself.