Thread: The Percheron

The Percheron

Do you guys think that percherons make good riding horses? I know they usually pull stuff but I have seen a couple percherons that are used for riding. I was just curious . Thanks in advance!!!

Buffy- 2 yr. old brown/black chihuahua (Female)
    Willow- 1yr. old black chihuahua (Female)
    Bella- 3 month old blue/beige chihuahua (Female)
    Lexy- 4 yr. old grey/white/tan/black cat (Female)
    Hermin- red/white betta fish (Male)
    Chica- 3 month old tan/black chihuahua (Female)
    Vinny- 4 month old tan/white/black chihuahua (Male)
    Piki- White/red spotted betta (male)
    Bella's Website
    Willow's Website
    Buffy's Website

First you need to find a saddle big enough - no small feat. Temperament-wise they are fine, won't win any speed contests, that's just not their style, but if you're comfortable, they will be, too.

all the drafts are great for riding as there is no real fear of falling off to broad of backs. I love riding a freinds bunch of shires . I want to have a farm of them my dream.
    they are great for bareback saddle pads
    I've been boo'dMerlin my angel

I have also seen pictures of percherons being ridden, i've just pulled out a horse book and i'm looking at the picture right now The Percheron is a heavy horse so was technically designed for pulling and not for riding....but.... over the years they have been influenced by horses such as arabs, barbs and thoroughbreds, so have gradually become lighter. Apparently they have good movement, and if you find one that is of a lighter build then it will definitely be a calm and good mount. However, i doubt that they'd be that good for jumping, as being a heavy horse means it would be difficult for them to get too far off the ground. I expect they're great for nervous or novice riders

Zimbabwe 07/13