Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Battle of the bed

Battle of the bed

This is John (Randi's husband) interrupting on Randi's favourite site with a tale about Fister.

The Battle of the Bed

When Fister first enchanted me in our back yard, I insisted that we get him up to live in our flat. Randi, understandably, was a bit doubtful, he was after all 100% feral and over a year old. But I had to try, and found a cage and some shrimps and had a go. Fister instantly taught me that this was a serious mistake, and I ended up in hospital with both hands shredded to bits. (I have owned wild cats before, but Fister was seriously independant!)
    OK, we decided, we would have to use intelligence and patience, and entice him up a bit at a time. We started by leaving the yard door and our kitchen door open (we live in a 1st floor flat), and after about 6 months we had him eating in the kitchen and making occasional hesitant trips into the flat. Slowly but surely he began to make himself at home, and it was around this time that Randi made her famous comment. Allright, we can keep him up here, but HE’S NOT COMING ONTO THE BED! Ah what innocent naivity.

It started as it always does with cats, slowly and patiently. First was our best easy chair. This quickly became his domain, then followed a blanket under the bed, a cushion under a wardrobe, in a little bed under the telephone table, the window sill etc etc. But Fister, unbeknown to us, had his sights set on higher things.
    His first trips onto the bed were very carefull and hesitant. (He is a VERY nervous cat). Starting at the bottom of the bed by Randis’ feet (she’s shorter than me), he slowly enroached further up, and began to lay full length between us and chill out. Soon he was lying curled up in my arms while we watched TV. Later he got the habit of stretching out on his back and sleeping across my stomach, and now he loves wandering around and walking backwards and forwards over my chest and stomach (he weighs nearly 8 kilos!). This was not enough of course, he still had his sights set on greater conquests, or to put it bluntly, total domination! The next bone of contention was the little space between our pillows (about 40 cm square). It took months of patient toil for him to aquire control over that bit of territory too.

Even at this point, we weren’t aware just how total his plans for domination were, because it turned out that he wasn’t finished yet! The ultimate prize was still to be won - to own Randis pillow! This battle has been going on for ages, and in spite of stern resistance from us, he just about has control over that area now. If he’s in a generous mood, Randi will be allowed about 60% of her own pillow, but give him the slightest chance, and he will be lying flat out across it with a big grin on his face.

So nowadays, as we fall into a gentle slumber to the sound of his purring, he will lie, warm, well fed and quite content, surveying his territory. The last bastions have fallen, all resistance is crushed. Two tame humans and a whole bed - the battle is won!
    He sighs and lays his head gently down onto the pillow - onto HIS pillow!

Last edited by Randi; 07-18-2002 at 09:23 AM.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

To the victor the spoils! Congratulations Fister! (Wish I could see the photos!)

Love the story! Marvelous! Somehow only one of the photos showed for me, but Fister is ADORABLE curled between two pillows.

What a delight! Thank you for sharing Fister's slooooow dominition over your home (and bed and pillow!) Loved it!

Yiiiieeee! Somehow the bottom three photos appeared when my message showed. Fister on the pillow is adorable!!!! And the last one with the tippy tip of his cute little pink tongue sticking out as he dreams (on Randi's pillow) is soooo precious!!!!
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

My how the mighty have fallen!! Fister had this all planned out from the start. Don't let him tell you differently! I can't see the pics either, but I think it's my computer's fault. Loved the story though. See how sneaky cats can be?

Great story I loved it. Isn't something that how much the pet owns us not us owning them and doing as they please. They take all control of what use to be ours. You got to love'm !! I could not see you pictures either I would had loved to.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ila, if I didn't know better, I'd swear that was Leonardo in your Mother's Day attched photo. Leonardo's a little .. ahem.. fatter though. Great picture!

I just LOVE that story!
    We have had a similar experience with one of our cats.

I can not see any of the pictures, and I really want to see them!

Such a fantastic story! Fister the Mighty !!! Isn't it great how they worm their way into every aspect of our lives!

I loved the story too!!! put I could not view the pics...

AWWWWWWWWWW
    Sweet story!!! Can't see photos either.....
    Sweet Fister.... enjoy your safe nights on Randi's pillow.
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky

Former User Guest
    John, great story!!! And Randi, better not say anything anymore what he can't have/do... because that's exactly what he is going to do, and going to have!
    I also can't see any pics, just red x

Former User Guest
    Tried to go and see, but it's asking a password....

Hello John!

Lovely story! Aren't they devious little things I sometimes feel lucky that Prema allowes me and sometimes Foxy (Maya has her own spots) to share HER bed with her.

Former User Guest
    First and last pic aren't showing to me...

Great story

But I cannot see any of the pictures!

This AM I awoke with a very heavy feeling ... 2 cats on my chest. Guess they were comfortable.