Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Penny is sick... (Updated 30th October - Page 3)

Penny is sick... *Update 30 Dec 06* 30 dec

*Sigh* Poor Penny is unwell again, it seems she has more bad days than good lately . Saturday morning we woke to find diarrhea and blood all over the bathroom floor, so she was rushed off to the vets and they could find nothing majorly wrong with her (Hello blood), gave her a shot of painkiller and 2 lots of anti biotics to take, said to fast her for 24 hours but encourage drinking.

Saturday night i was out and got home early Sunday morning, Mum got up when i got home and said Penny had started to vomit over night. The vomiting has stopped but there is still blood present. And her eye with the cataract has been very weepy and swollen this afternoon. So it is off to the vets again tomorrow first thing in the morning.

Please keep our little dog in your thoughts.

Last edited by cloverfdx; 12-29-2006 at 06:58 AM.

Rhi, I'm so sorry Penny is doing so poorly. I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers. {hugs}
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Oh poor Penny. She will be in my thoughts and prayers. I sure hope they can figure out what the problem is to help her get well again.

She will be in our thoughts!

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

Poor Penny I hope she gets better soon!

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Thanks everyone . Penny seemed to perk up a bit this evening and had a couple of good big drinks, so i am happy about that. She even ate a little bit of boiled chicken and rice.

Thanks again for keeping her in your thoughts, i will keep you updated.
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

Please seek a second opinion for your dog? Anytime your dog is passing blood from either end it needs to be looked at and possibly X-Rays. I will pray for the recovery of your sweetie.
    Labmomma

I hope she is feeling better soon, Rhi. she will be in my thoughts and prayers. ((hugs)) give the little sweetie a gentle hug for me, please.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Bloody vomit

There are two possibilities you should seek to eliminate.

The first is to have your Vet stick a scope down into the stomach to check for possible ulcers. If one is found then treating with zantac or prilosec will help the healing. Not to mention avoiding any feeding of bones.

The second primary cause of blood in the vomit is the beginning of liver failure and/or disease. If caused by something like Salmonella contaminated meat, then the antibiotics should help-assuming they don't irritate an ulcerated stomach. Cephalexin has such a habit, where as Baytril is usually mild on the tummy. A liver blood profile should be taken, and if enzymes are elevated and the antibiotics are not clearing up the problem then you might want to have an ultrasound performed.

Rhi,

You are in my thoughts .......... and have my prayers .....
    M!
    "No dog is born either vicious or friendly, but rather a blank slate that is moulded, for better or worse, by the owner."

Well we were back at the vets today and Penny was given 2 more shots of 2 more different Antibiotics. They wanted to keep her overnight and take blood in the morning but we would not leave her there, so she will be going back in the morning for tests.

Labmomma we trust our vets and they are very good, 2 different vets have seen her over the last week and we are all concerned that the meds have not worked.. we are doing everything we can to get an answer. Depending on what the blood tests show, Penny will be well taken care of.

Thankyou for your support everyone, it means alot to us {{Hugs}}. I will update tomorrow after we get the test results back.
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

Updated for those that are interested....

Penny's test results still have not come back , we will know in the morning. She had a bit of a rollercoaster ride today, blood taken in the morning..then she came home for a while and went for a small drive.. when we got back home her hind legs collapsed and she was unable to walk.. so we rushed back to the vets and by the time we got there she was able to walk again (Little bugger).

The vet then took more blood and did a quick test which showed nothing, and then he came to the conclusion it was low blood sugar from not eating much in the past week (She has gone from 4.9KG last month to 4.4KGs now). So we are getting her to eat what ever we can, including roast chicken and baby food.. she did eat quite well this evening.

*Sigh* I just want to know what is wrong with her... it is heartbreaking not knowing what is going to happen . I just want her to be well again.

Found this photo taken just a couple of months back on holiday.. she had a blast staying by the beach for 10 or so days. The beach is her favourite place ever.
    Last edited by cloverfdx; 07-26-2006 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Added a photo ;)

I am so sorry to hear about Penny. I've been keeping my eye on this thread, she's been & continues to be in my thoughts & prayers. I hope she feels better and soon. {{{hugs}}}
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Rhi,

Let us know when you get the results ............. {{{hugs}}}

Michelle
    M!
    "No dog is born either vicious or friendly, but rather a blank slate that is moulded, for better or worse, by the owner."

Poor baby! My sons friend has a daschund they woke up one morning to find him sitting in a pool of blood they rushed him to the vet. It turned out he had diabetes. He is doing great now though. I sure hope you get some answers soon on Penny. You both are in my thoughts. (((Hugs)))

Thank you Kay for the beautiful sig!

"We can judge the heart of man by his treatment of animals"

~Find the seed at the bottom of your heart and bring forth a flower~