Thread: State of legal residence?

State of legal residence?

I am trying to fill out a FAFSA online and it wants my state of legal residence. Troy says it's still Oregon but I think it might be Louisiana. We rent here, pay taxes here, are switching our car over to here, etc.

I am having difficulty in finding a web site that could tell me what my state of legal residence is and/or how to establish it if it's not Louisiana.

What is it like where you are?

Your legal residence is Louisanna, even though you rent and dont own a home. Your paying taxes in Lousianna (income) that's your legal residence, plus your drivers licence, car insurance all are from that state. Drivers license & voter registration establishes residency.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

If you are a military wife, then your legal state of residence would, indeed, be Oregon.

Its where you live. Legal residence only applies to people who might have more than one home. You might live in both equally, but one of them is where all important stuff goes. Since you only have one home, and all your documentation says the Louisianna address, then thats your legal address.

The other thing is if you're a college student living at the dorms. Your legal residence would be your parent's house. The only time a college residence become your legal residence is if you moved fulltime into an apartment, and then had all your official stuff like driver's licence and tax documents changed to the apartment address

Or thats how I was always told.

I agree with the above... Some of the guys that work on the river use to try to claim their state of residence was a state that didn't have state taxes. They learned it would be the state their DL and car tage were from.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Heh, it gets kind of confusing from there.

I have not had the money, until I got my job, to get my ID switched over to my married name and the state of Louisiana. I'll be getting that done pretty soon. I still have not registered to vote but will be looking online to see if I can do it over the net.

Thank you much. I really appreciate it and love the fact that when things get confusing that I know where I can get great advice.

You can register to vote when you get your license changed over. At least you can here in Pennsylvania.