Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Irish Red Setters - Getting one......AAAHHH

Irish Red Setters - Getting one......AAAHHH

Hello again my darling husband I think has made a really silly mistake and has decided to buy an Irish Red Setter pup which I might add he has paid for (sorry darling but this has to be done) Can anyone with a setter offer some advise on this subject bearing in mind that we are already a terrier household and have two terriers both still kinda in puppy stage themselves being 2.3 years and 1.3 years old.

HELP MEEEEEE
    jackmilliesmom

Thanks to Michelle (Kittycats_Delight) for my wonderful
    cheerful and special signature and avatar!!!!!!

**I'VE BEEN FROSTED**

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!! Hubby's are amazing!! I wish i could help ya, but i have never owned one, they are gorgeous tho!!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

they are a beautiful dog and have a lovely temperment but oooohhh mmmmyyyyy men are silly - he will see this post and probably murder me with a pillow tonight (just kidding) anyway I just want to find out more info before I am landed with this little darling.
    jackmilliesmom

**I'VE BEEN FROSTED**

Hows this?? have fun!!!

Irish Setters are energetic, intelligent, affectionate, high-spirited, and full of energy. They have no guarding instincts, get along with other animals, and are good with children. Irish Setters are responsive yet sensitive. This breed can be giddy and high strung, while some are more reserved. It is very lovable and impulsive. Some are difficult to train, probably because of their independent spirit, but given firm handling and plenty of exercise, these dogs can be a joy to own. Irish Setters are extremely swift, with an excellent sense of smell and are hardy over any terrain and in any climate. The Irish Setter is used for all types of hunting. It even works well on wetlands. Train this breed firmly at an early age to prevent development of bad habits, as this breed tends to pick up bad habits quickly. It is important to train for good house manners. These dogs are said to be easily housebroken. Both field lines and show lines make good pets, though the field lines are generally smaller with shorter coats and a much higher activity requirement.
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

My only experience with one was as a child. My uncle had one named Kelly. He was very high strung, a real "wild child". I recall that he was alot of fun but got wound up really easily. He also loved having a shower and having his teeth brushed.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Well- when I was young we had two- they earn as said by the AKC as the "clowns of the setters".. I am concerned in not only the size difference, but any large breed stays a puppy longer than a small one- with all the klutz etc associated. ( including my own..) In general it takes two years if not a little more for the large breeds to grow up. That means- no clue how big they are, how to stop from crashing into things etc. And anytime you have the size difference, you have to protect the smaller ones from being " accedently run over " in the yard. Just as I have to protect my pups from being run over by the adults, you would have the opposite in protecting the smaller adults from and exhuberant puppy. I know you have a fenced area to let the puppy run as setters love to run.
    As long as Hubby is willing to put the work in to bring the pup along until adulthood- it should be fine- but it does take daily diligence to bring in any dog that would have a big size difference. Also remember- terriers in general think they are a " big dog" and some even without the clue they are as little as they are. I know when I had my affenpincher Crikket with my Dane Lilly- it was a constant supervision- in and out of the house! Big paws do not mean to step on things- but they do.. Zubin and Galina are getting close to two years old- as you know- they still see themselves as puppies- and its not just because there are two of them- they really do even when seperated. " When in doubt- run to something- and worry about stopping when you get there..." lol..
    As far as setters- as a trainer- I have found the Gordons and the English more sensible. I love - TO THE POINT OF ADORE- the looks of the Irish, but the other two breeds really are more sensible and sensitve to their surroundings. Also keep in mind- all 3 of the setters need daily brushings with a pin brush.
    I am not trying to talk you out of this Jo- you know that- I am just tossing out things for you to consider BEFORE bringing that adorable puppy home. Remember- not all breeds work for all people. Neither of my two setters were chewers- but they had alot of exercise daily.. Alot! As I would say to anyone getting a big dog- keep in mind- do you really have the time for the morning run, and late afternoon run or dinnertime run. A high energy breed needs daily exercise- not excessive for growing bones and joints- so several short runs a day is better than one long one. Being good hunters- they are independant minded, and never should be outside a fenced in area to run loose as they will follow a trail..
    All just thoughts for you to consider.. WE have known each other long enough for me to be honest here- knowing you will consider what I have said as an attempt to help with decissions before the puppy comes to your home.

Great so I am getting a human child in a dog's body wwwhhhhooooppppeee what a treat oh god it is true whoever invented men did so as a bad joke (sorry guys but it is true)
    jackmilliesmom

**I'VE BEEN FROSTED**

With a man, I doubt you can change his mind- however- maybe once he realizes this tosses out calm home arrivals- and the need to exercise the puppy and the work involved- either he will say " I can do this," or " uh maybe later.."
    And keep in mind- this constant activity level is the main reason I do not have shepherds anymore. Do I still drool over a great looking shepherd? YOU BETTER BELIEVE! Do I love to talk about shepherds?? YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT! Would I own one again- I hate to tell you.. no..

I can see everybody's point here but I know this is not going to work out (I can feel a row coming on at home but....) because it will be all left to me and I have to work during the day our terriers have a nice size home but put a setter or similar size dog into the mix - not a good idea would love to just say no but maybe when he reads this post it might put him off the idea and if he wants I have no problem with him getting another terrier but please not a bigger dog it will not work
    jackmilliesmom

**I'VE BEEN FROSTED**

Well put it on the back burner for now. After all- I wanted a Borzoi for years, but we always had smaller dogs, or cats in the house. At some point, a breed becomes right in circumstance and timing..

yeah will talk to him tonight - the more I think the more negatives are popping into my head so will talk to him about it tonight
    jackmilliesmom

**I'VE BEEN FROSTED**

If hubby is the sort who would rather be taking long walks and spending quality time outside with his dog than sitting in front of the TV--this could be a match made in heaven.

If the dog is going to be left to his own devices or treated simply as a typical small or medium size house pet--there's rocky days ahead. A pointing breed dog must have mental and physical exercise to be happy. They need a job to do even if it's just taking the master for long walks!

As far as your little dogs go, he'll be just fine with them, though they may get trampled a time or two until they learn not to get under his feet when he's excited.

The biggest obstacle in the beginning could be lack of supervision while you're both at work. A setter can't be kept in a crate all day and neither can they be trusted not to get themselves into all sorts of mischief if not well supervised.

Many of the pointing breed dogs don't seem to "get it" until they're about 4 years old. Until then they'll often surprise you with their puppy like antics.

If provided with the proper supervision, exercise and training--they can be a joy to live with! If not,
    To train a dog you have to think like a dog!

Yep thats what I am afraid of John is fine but discipline wise and with the work he does it is hard to get plenty of time for him to do anything with them apart from play with them in the yard/garden but even at that he is out at work all day and so am I. Jack and Millie know what to do and are well protected in our garden but I would not trust a setter especially a pup - Jack and Millie can go on jobs with John and be calm and quite even though they are still puppies kinda but know what is ok and what is not thanks to my training though.

But a setter where I have no real time to spend at the moment with work, studies and more work and trying to have a normal life not a runner. By the way he has read this thread and I got a phone call - "Maybe you are right Pooh Bear we should not get one now, maybe later"

You see we do know best.... lol
    jackmilliesmom

**I'VE BEEN FROSTED**

Jo- just put it on the back burner for now. Big dogs do have different needs- especially as puppies. As you know- I didnt get Zubin until I retired and home all day- even then I broke my leg the day after and it made chaos trying to cover those 10 weeks. Thank God for family and friends- .. Alot of body, but a puppy mentality takes alot of work..
    I looked into a sporting breed a few months back if you remember. My husband has been in love with the GSP since he saw his first at a show.. We came real close- but the female we were going to adopt had a medical problem we were worried might be transfered to Galina ( who was supposed to be coming into heat.. uh huh...).. Weeks later at a canvas show, we were next to a van full of GSP's- he got to see first hand all things being said on their energy levels and how would that really fit in not just with our lifestyle- but also the other dogs..

I would never say don't get one! What I would say is; if you're going to get an active dog; be prepared for the dedication it takes! Especially a puppy!

These dogs (the pointing breeds) were bred for a specific purpose which requires a much higher energy level than the majority of other breeds. They are bred to have the stamina to hunt continously hour after hour in all types of conditions.

When you think of it; there isn't another group, even the majority of the herding dogs, (often considered to be among the most active breeds), that are required to expend so much energy for such a continuous length of time. The only dogs that come to mind that would have the same amount of energy levels, would be long distance sled dogs.

Having said all that; if hubby is set on having a setter in the household, you might consider adopting an older one. Once they get past the four year mark, they should be past the mischief stage when unsupervised.
    To train a dog you have to think like a dog!