Thread: Cold weather precautions.

Cold weather precautions.

I am new to THIS forum, but have been around the block on a few others prior to this.
    As I sit here in the upper Great Plains I see the forecast for this weekend is predicting high temps of maybe 0* F and lows toward -20* F before the windchill is figured in... And here a normal day would be 10 mph wind or better.
    I realize that most on here know it is a no-brainer that keeping our dogs (or any pet) warm is essential, but keep in mind that with colder weather our pets need more water available.. Their metabolism is naturally at a higher rate to produce the body heat needed to keep themselves warm.. And eating snow will only drain already precious heat that they produced.

Ok this was a lame howdy to everyone but what ever.

What are other tips do folks have out there have for the cold weather.
    Last edited by corgieguy; 02-01-2007 at 01:04 PM.

Well, Hi Corgiguy, and welcome to Pet Talk! It sure is fun around here.

Since my dog is a small bichon, indoor dog, I just put a sweater or jacket on her when I take her out for a walk. In the backyard, well, those are quick trips, SHE makes sure of that, ha ha!

It's good to be reminded that our pets get uncomfortable in the cold too - even with their fluffy fur coats. Thanks for the reminder and welcome to the board!

Thank you Wolf_Q!

CORGIGUY!!! I missed ya!! Welcome to PT! and as always- with good advice! ...

Miss Hoppy (my bunny) even makes her porch visits short in very cold weather .... which is good, as while she is out there, our furnace is heating the porch, and part of the outdoors, too ...

(Our porch is glassed-in, just not completely air-tight.)
    I've Been Frosted

Where I have a tiny chihuahua ----Mister lets me put a coat on him and his boots so he doesnt get any sand or salt in his pads. Then we are prob outside for a whole 3 mins. Come back in and I have a warm towel that just came out of the mircowave I wrap him in. He is an INDOOR dog ONLY so that seems to working just fine for us!!!
    Welcome to the board and I'm sure people with bigger dogs will enjoy your advice
    CHI HUGS------

Up North. Where all your troubles freeze and fall off.
    Quote Originally Posted by corgieguy
    upper Great Plains
    Haha, at first I thought you ment plains like praries. (I was thinking northern alberta. lol)

It's been rather cold here. I still feel guilty about STILL not getting that greyhound coat. (X_X) I intended to have it before the first day it hit the -30s.

I didn't even know they needed more water. *rushes to top up bowl*
    STILL AVAILABLE BY E-MAIL

I use to always think of So. Dak. as the Midwest. Then someone pointed out that is like the Gr. Lakes south to Mo. area, and we are the Great Plains from Kansas north into Canada.. Due to the wheat growing area considered the plains.. I DO NOT KNOW and it really does not make a rip...IMOHO. I guess that the upper reference came from the old generation that infrequently referenced Canada and only thought of the US when thinking of areas.... Thank God open mindedness does progress even if ever so slow..

Even if you have a fur bearing dog and they are typically from the colder regions, they still need to be looked after. Corgi would stay out for hours if I let him. I do not want to know what would happen if I did, but I do hope they have the brains that we give them credit for and come in before anything gets nipped....
    "I have been DEFROSTED"
    Corgis are energetic, agile, intellegent,
    lively, cheerfull, sturdy and loyal...
    So in otherwords a corgi can be a
    short stocky never ending fur ball
    of fun..What the not so understanding
    may call a pain in the rear...

I've been watching a Dachsund this week and we got hit here in PA with 16" of snow with ice on top of that. Usually he goes out, does his business, and gets back in. But the snow is exciting to him so he wants to sniff around, etc.. Trouble is, after about 2 min. he starts lifting his legs up b/c he can't stand any longer and I end up running over, picking him up and getting him inside. Now, he doesn't get a chance to go to the bathroom. And this is repeated over and over. He keeps doing the same thing. I tried boots his parents left. He won't leave them on. I have a sweater and coat on him so he's not cold, just his feet. And now he's messing in my house. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by angelchampy
    Trouble is, after about 2 min. he starts lifting his legs up b/c he can't stand any longer and I end up running over, picking him up and getting him inside. Now, he doesn't get a chance to go to the bathroom. And this is repeated over and over. He keeps doing the same thing. I tried boots his parents left. He won't leave them on. I have a sweater and coat on him so he's not cold, just his feet. And now he's messing in my house. Any ideas?
    Keep repeating over and over. My Lacey is good for about 3 minutes when the temps are below 20*F. We just have to keep taking her out for very short periods until she goes. Her feet cannot handle the cold. She weighs just over 70lbs, so not so easy to pick her up. Good luck.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Wow, I can't believe it that would happen to a dog 70lbs. I thought it was only b/c he was so tiny. No, I don't think you could pick up 70lbs. At least I have an advantage with that. My Sherry was 55lbs and even when her back/legs were bad toward the end, I had her in a sling to support her walking and she didn't seem to mind the cold. As a matter of fact, she loved the snow so much it was sad that she couldn't roll around in it like she used to. She was a Shepherd/Collie mix. Thanks for the tip. I'll do that. Right now, I have papers down in the kitchen in case he has to go.

Thank you for the tip angelchampy! My Lacey has had surgeries on both of her back knees and had to be walked with a sling, maybe that could help us, never thought of that! Her back feet are the ones that give out and it may be due to the fact her back legs are weak. Also, she doesn't have fur on her feet like my other dog Layla who can handle the snow and cold much better.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla