Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bitch in whelp feeding raw. ..

Bitch in whelp feeding raw. ..

I have had many litters over the years. I started feeding raw in 1984 but always got worried about keeping a bitch in whelp on raw, and went back to what I knew would work. Praise the Lord- I never lost a puppy. I want this litter to be with the bitch on raw the whole pregancy. I have an idea- but I am looking for those of you that feed raw, and have whelped pups on raw for tips to help with Galina.
    I know the tables change-. I heard they no longer need red raspberry on raw. I am concerned how to increase food without making a slower digestive tract.. Its stupid with the number of litters I have had I would be nervous- but understand - this is my first Borzoi litter.. And I am looking for tips. Please also give WHY you do what you do. What does it help with?? etc.. Any help is appreciated...
    YES THIS IS AN INVITE.. lol.
    Last edited by borzoimom; 02-28-2007 at 06:53 PM.

Oh- what she eats now is chicken, beef liver, chicken liver, cottage cheese and yogurt- a whole egg per meal, missing link vitamins, vitacoat, and a tiny mixture of solid gold, and wolf king bison ( like two tablespoons if that). Uhh lets see.. ohhhhhhhhhhhh tipoli fish..

Is this an invite LOL??
    I would be happy to share what I have learned with raw and whelping bitches, and would be happy to help.
    Merry Holidays to One an All Blessed be

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Goodnow
    Is this an invite LOL??
    I would be happy to share what I have learned with raw and whelping bitches, and would be happy to help.
    YES ITS AN INVITE- GET OFF YOUR you know what and answer me- or uh anyone else with a uh apology as I am blunt with Kym.. sorry about that..
    Sarah??? How about you??? etc etc etc etc etc

sorry i dont know much about raw but i'd assume that feeding raw would be perfectly okay and normal since if they were in the wild(such as wolfs ect.) they wouldnt have a choice of going back to doggie food.
    Kinda curious to the answers you get as well!
    I didnt know you were going to have a liter, is she already pregnant or is this kinda new?

Well first off so I am not totally flamed, understand I dont add veggies to my guys diet, some ppl do and that is fine. My guys dont like them (liar maker is Goofy who adores tomatoes).

Keeping a bitch in whelp on raw is the same as keeping her on it every other time, paying attention to what she will need a bit extra of, calcium, iron and fats.

2 eggs a day is way more than I would use, but you know your dog.

When Emmylou was in whelp, and approximately the same weight as Galina, her diet was

AM feeding one chicken leg quarter with a beef rib bone and a few spoonfuls of cottage cheese

Midday feeding

Apiece of salmon with skin attached, and a another short rib bone

Evening feeding:

A few thinly sliced pieces of beef or lamb livers, cottage cheese, and an egg
    shell and all

Now understand that other than the organ meats you can sub any meats your dogs are used to. Emmy also would get switched with lamb, beef , venison, chevron, beefalo, Emu and Ostrich and duck
    Merry Holidays to One an All Blessed be

Quote Originally Posted by coco-bean
    sorry i dont know much about raw but i'd assume that feeding raw would be perfectly okay and normal since if they were in the wild(such as wolfs ect.) they wouldnt have a choice of going back to doggie food.
    Kinda curious to the answers you get as well!
    I didnt know you were going to have a liter, is she already pregnant or is this kinda new?
    Galina is being bred. She is ready to go, excellent health and weight. Now we just wait as I twiddle my fingers waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Goodnow
    Well first off so I am not totally flamed, understand I dont add veggies to my guys diet, some ppl do and that is fine. My guys dont like them (liar maker is Goofy who adores tomatoes).

Keeping a bitch in whelp on raw is the same as keeping her on it every other time, paying attention to what she will need a bit extra of, calcium, iron and fats.

2 eggs a day is way more than I would use, but you know your dog.

When Emmylou was in whelp, and approximately the same weight as Galina, her diet was

AM feeding one chicken leg quarter with a beef rib bone and a few spoonfuls of cottage cheese

Midday feeding

Apiece of salmon with skin attached, and a another short rib bone

Evening feeding:

A few thinly sliced pieces of beef or lamb livers, cottage cheese, and an egg
    shell and all

Now understand that other than the organ meats you can sub any meats your dogs are used to. Emmy also would get switched with lamb, beef , venison, chevron, beefalo, Emu and Ostrich and duck
    Lamb livers? cant get that- can you suggest something else???

Visa ate raw during her pregnancy. I didn't change much. I just made sure to feed her lots of poultry and pork so that she got alot of folic acid, I doubled her shark cartilage and glucosamin/chondroitin, and I was careful to make sure she got enough calcium.
    I've been BOO'd!

Thank you all- that is easing my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    Galina is being bred. She is ready to go, excellent health and weight. Now we just wait as I twiddle my fingers waiting.
    oh yay, i cant wait to see some pictures!!!

Quote Originally Posted by coco-bean
    oh yay, i cant wait to see some pictures!!!
    DO NOT WORRY- plenty of pictures when its time!!

May I have one of Galina´s puppies
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Quote Originally Posted by Husky_mom
    May I have one of Galina´s puppies
    Wish I could- but they are already spoken for with a long waiting list.
    I have been doing alot of research- I think my worries are unfounded about this as far as what to add etc. Even simplier in some ways than what I would do with a "kibble" type diet.. hmmm..

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    Wish I could- but they are already spoken for with a long waiting list.
    aww man!!.........well worth the try .........maybe some other time......

I think Wolfsoul can give you some pointers as she sai she went raw through the whole pregnancy and whelping of Visa.........
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365