View Poll Results: Do you agree with keeping wild animals in zoos?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!!!

17 30.36%
  • No, they should be in the wild

4 7.14%
  • I have mixed feelings

35 62.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wild Animals In Zoos

Wild Animals In Zoos

Do you agree with keeping wild animals in captivity?

My grandma says that animals shouldn't be kept in captivity and I agree with her. Animals die earlier when they are kept in cages. Animals should be running free instead of laying in a cage. That's just my opinion.
    Thank you so much for my siggy, kittycats_delight!

I Think that today, the main reason, besides for entertainment, and learning, zoos play a most important roll in Saving the Endangered animals, with their breeding programs, so Yes, i would have to say that I agree with animals in Zoos.
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

I agree with Maggie,
    the breeding programs for re introduction in the wild, and also for simply re establishing endangered animals is too important to ignore.

With many many zoos now changing the enclosures and exhibits to better suit habitats and needs, it is nothing like 20 years ago when all you saw were concrete and bars.

i voted yes.
    Merry Holidays to One an All Blessed be

Well, kittygurl, I don't think znimals belong in cages.

We have an award winning zoo here, and the animals are in natural habitats. They have plenty of grass and trees, can hide from viewers without going inside some concrete hole to a little cave area. They also do have inside places to go. They can get up to a full gallop / run which they all seem to do if a sea gull happens to land in the habitat. ha ha.

And I also recognize that the breeding programs are helping restore endangered species populations, even in the wild, through the release programs.

So I voted mixed.

Yes I do agree simply because it helps endangered animals.
    "To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"

I think it depends on how the animals are treated. I went to a zoo last week, and while some of the animals had a HUGE area, others had a very small area. The Leopards, Lions, Tigers, Bears, etc are all kept in cages and pace back and forth but the Zebras, Antelopes, and some other animals had acreage to run free and seemed happy. So, I guess it depends on how big of an area they have and also what kind of vet care they recieve, etc.

I have a mix feeling cause 1, it keeps them safe from bein hunted and i do think they should be free also
    ~Im a showjumper, an animal lover, a sister, and a great friend and the reason for who I am is because of the great people around me.~

*Rest In Peace Blossum*

I have mixed feelings...

If they are taken care of properly and have plenty of room i see nothing wrong with it.

For the few there are in zoos they are doing a wonderful service for their counterparts in the wild. Especially the programs that are trying to bring back species from extinction.

Many species actually can live longer lives in zoos.

The days of steel bars and small cages are gone. Shame on any zoo that still runs this way.

I have seen some wonderful zoos and i have been to a few that make me want to cry every time i think about them.

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

That sound like one zoo i went to a couple years back. Someone was telling me about the wonderful displays they had so i decided to go check it out. It was sad how small some of the enclosures were for the predators!!! The wolves(3) had a section no bigger than half of my back yard (which is 50'x75')!!! (Lucky for them they had been hand raised by the owners and were accustomed to people. ...I guess they also get walks on occasion ...but still!!!)

I think the highlight of my trip there was seeing a real live Wolverine! (Trying to focus on the good.)

I got to see many animals there i've never seen before... but i never fail to mention to people what small enclosures the place has for the predators. The place has the potential to be Great. They really do. ...but they aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by .sarah
    I went to a zoo last week, and while some of the animals had a HUGE area, others had a very small area. The Leopards, Lions, Tigers, Bears, etc are all kept in cages and pace back and forth but the Zebras, Antelopes, and some other animals had acreage to run free and seemed happy.

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

I agree with it as long as they are treated well and have the space they need.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

I voted mixed feelings

I'm all for the breeding programs for endangered and threatened species, to help introduce to the wilds -- i think thats great. And zoos that provide an apropriately sized space for the animals is good as well.

The ones i have problems with are the enclosures that are clearly too small for the animals they are housing. Like seeing the panthers walking the same trail over and over again, wearing down a path through the grass from boredom doesn't sit too well with me.

Last summer, i had friends up from the states, and we went to the toronto zoo -- where they have a Canadian exhibit. They had an exhibit of raccoons who were all sleeping, so we couldn't see them very well. Later that night, behind the house, the raccoons were into the garbage again, and we went out with the flashlight to scare them off, and the joke was that we didn't have to to the zoo to see the canadian wildlife, just check out back near the garbage bins

I agree with everyone else ... sometimes it is necessary for the survival of a species to maintain captive populations. And some zoos are VERY nice.

Also, I think people are more likely to care about and try to help save animals they have actually seen "in real life".

Actually, captive animals do not die at an earlier age than wild animals. Due to lack of predators, a steady diet, vet care, etc. captive animals ususally live much longer lives than their wild cousins.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I would prefer to see animals contained in a wild life refuge place than
    keeping them in a zoo.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I would have to say yes because they do save endangered animals, and some have amazing natural habitats where they have sooo much room to live their natural lives.

And I also would think they would live longer because they are taken care of, in the wild they die quicker because of predators and/or sickness. but I could be wrong.

Kalei
    I will love you forever Bobo

I have mixed feelings

The Zoo I have a membership for, is closing their old "houses" and converting the animals over to specialized habitats that are bigger and more suited to the animal's natural environment. They are keeping the old buildings just for the architectural details and using them for other purposes like office space. I'd rather see a tiger or lion in a huge enclosure, even if it is way at the back of its enclosure, rather than stuck in a cage. With digital photography they can create a special display of the cat where you can see what you might have (up close) if it were caged.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678