Thread: Solar Energy

Solar Energy

Does anybody have any experience with installing and using solar energy panels? I was seriously thinking about it last night, and, as luck would have it, they were having a demonstration at Costco today. We brought home a few brochures and a FAQs page, but I still have a lot of questions. They're pretty obvious so I was hoping some of you would have experience with it:

- On average, how much does installation cost? Does the installation need a lot of replacing/fixing up?

I saw on the FAQs that the warranty for the energy panels themselves were 25 years but the warranty on the installation was only 5 years. I'm guessing the installation is a pricy procedure that probably needs a lot of redoing (I hope I'm wrong though!)

- Does one need to notify their local energy provider that they've added solar panels or...? The FAQs sheet just wasn't much help and I was hoping some of you would have advice Thanks SO much!!

There are many differnt types of solar panels, so many of the answers will be different for each.

Do check with you local municipality - you may get tax credit, and assistance if you install them, I know that's true in our city.

Friends of mine installed them, (he is an architect) and now an average electric bill was about 38 cents two years ago, when I last asked.
    I've Been Frosted

Solar panels are an expensive proposition. I'll look up the links later, but average installation cost runs about $30-45K for a total conversion. The warranty on the installation is due to the complexity of the work, and reliability depends in large part on the contractor.

About 1/2 of that cost is absorbed by tax credits and other programs, but it depends on your state laws.

(I have 70+ feet of south facing roof and a constant breeze so I'm seriously looking into converting in the quasi-distant future to a wind/solar installation)
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Thanks!

Yeah, the actual amount of sun we receive here is a bit of a problem in itself. There's a huge oak tree in our front yard that we legally (and morally) have to leave intact so I'm wondering if we're even eligible for solar energy. If we are, however, those prices you guys gave me are a bit frightening =/ I just checked PG&E's website and, apparently, California has a solar energy initiative where they offer financial help. I would really really love to install solar, but I don't know many people who have it. So keep posting! That 38 cent electric bill is verrrry enticing

For solar electric panels to be efficient, you need at least 6 hours of direct sun per day.

NY State will offset the installation of solar panels by 40-70% depending on the size of the installation. I'm not sure about CA.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Here's a good link for sources:

http://www.homepower.com/

Giselle, I was going to talk to my friends at church today but forgot that today is their twins' second birthday, so both of them were fielding birthday greetings and herding/coralling two-year-olds! But if you have more questions that you need answered, PM me, and I'll ask next week, when the hubbub has died down!
    I've Been Frosted