Thread: A tip my vet just told me

A tip my vet just told me

If you all know this, I apologize for the repeat. I asked him what I can do to prevent Creamsicle from scarfing down her food like it's her last meal, then almost immediately vomiting it up. He said to put a big rock in her food dish. She'll have to take her time to eat around the food and it should prevent that from happening. I'm definitely going to give it a try. Has anyone ever heard of this or tried it?
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I haven't heard the "rock" trick, but my sister Carolyn uses a couple of automatic feeders to stop her senior boy Oliver from "scarfing." She sets the timers so that he gets four tiny meals in a day.

Liz
    [b]"Virtue is triumphant only in theatrical productions." --The Mikado

I've heard of this, we actually did it with one of my old dogs. It kind of worked! lol

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

I thought about an automatic feeder but knowing my spoiled fur posse, they'd all want one and I don't want to buy 7. I'll let you know how the rock trick works for me.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Is that for wet food or dry food or both?

Sounds like a good tip! Thanks to you and your vet, Mary.

Pat
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

This sounds like a great idea, I should try it with Fister! He sometimes tends to eat too fast, and comes back in here getting the hiccups.

Liz, I bet Oliver knows the sound of that timer and rushes to get some food.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Hmm, I don't know, I didn't ask. I only feed my fur posse dry food; they get Fancy Feast canned chicken when one of them is not feeling well and I'm trying hard to get them to eat.
    Blessings,
    Mary

My sister also told me this tip. I did do it with Taz. I guess it kind of worked. It's sorta hard to tell. Taz just didn't eat as much with the rock in the dish.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Thanks for the tip i have one of those bulemic pussycats too,well worth a try.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

I remember Wolflady used to do this for Marius. I think she put a rubber mouse in his food bowl becasue he was always eating too fast and then throwing it back up.

My Sunny is also my barfer kitty. He won't always do it but some days he'll throw up more than he eats and he's already my skinny boy. I feed my cats 4 small mealsa day. Two are wet and dry food and two are dry only. Sunny can't eat wet food by itself or he'll throw it back up because it's either too rich for him or he loves it so much that he eats it way too fast. He has to have his wet food mixed with his dry food. He also won't eat his dry food in a bowl but prefers it on the carpet. He's one picky cat.

THE FOUND CATS HAVE NEVER REALLY BE GULPERS. MAYBE WHEN A PORCH CATS FIRST COMES IN AND SEE THAT THERES UNLIMITED GOOD FOOD BUT THEY SOON CALM DOWN. EVEN POUNCER ROCCALNO DOESNT EAT EVERYTHING ON HER DISH AT ONCE UNLESS ITS STEAK WITH OLD WHITE CHEDDAR.
    I THINK SHES WARMING UP TO ME. I SING TO HER AS I LEAVE HER FOOD.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Good tip, Mary! I'll definitely try it with Chestnut! He scarfs it down, throws it up about 10 minutes later. An hour after that . . . which is NOT a feeding time . . . he is a poor STARVING kitty! (I bet many of you know THAT song.)

At least Chestnut waits 10 minutes. Cgirl sometimes throws it up right then and there into the food dish, to the chagrin of all the other furkids, I can tell ya. She's just so hyper! Hope it works for ya.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Wow, now that is a nifty tip, I would not have thought of that, I hope it works out for ya!

Kalei
    I will love you forever Bobo

What I did for my binger/purger, was to place her food on a very large tray. Same idea, she needed to eat slower because the food was very spread out.