Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rant!!!!

Rant!!!!

I am a member on several Border Collie (rescue) boards.

In the section where BC's in need of rescuing are posted, I've noticed that people make a big deal about reds and merles. It drives me up the wall.

Example: There were 4 BC's in a high kill pound. Two reds and a merle were saved. The black and white boy is still there.

And no one has even backed up with a reason WHY they take the reds over the blacks. One I've heard before is reds get adopted faster. It may be true, but NO ONE should buy a dog based on it's colour.

Maybe I'm just crouchy because it's almost 2 AM. But still.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

So your breed has the opposite of mine? The red Dobies stay and the blacks move.

Drives me crazy too, but without education people won't change.
    Merry Holidays to One an All Blessed be

Thats pathetic, the Black one might be a sweetheart and the other one a evil little thing but they take him/her only for the color? Thats completly WRONG.
    Biscotties, the perfect companion for your latte.
    I love my girls Nena & Lola, there just perfect.

Ive noticed that with Dobermans too, Dr Goodnow. Its part of the reason why my dads boy, Max was going to be PTS the SAME day my dad contacted the breed rescue about him.

Now, what is so unadoptable about THIS boy?

The pup in front is my moms mutt (you tell me what she is lol) Twilight.

The harsh realities of rescue work.

They don't want to be mean, but they have to allocate their resoureces as best they can. It is like a 'no kill" shelter realizing they can't take in anymore for a few weeks until they complete some adoptions. Fair? NO WAY. Forced by the overwhelming numbers.

I think of black & white as the classically beautiful border collie. Maybe people just want the "new" model? I think Shelties have the same problem - everybody wants a merle. I'd never even seen merles till a few years ago!
    Makes me crazy with my breed too - some people are obsessed about wanting blue-eyed huskies, like having brown eyes makes them a less desirable husky. It's always a key point with advertisers who are in it for the buck -- "We breed for BLUE-eyed husky puppies.", when they should breed for "great confirmation & temperment".

That is sad!
    The breed is the same no matter what color they are.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

the rescues are taking merles over a black and white? thats very odd, most rescues have a h*ll of a time trying to place merle BCs, black and whites are WAAYYY easier to adopt out then a merle...
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

That's just awful! Kinda like how a lot of black dogs don't very often get adopted! How horrible.

DJFyrewolf- I would snatch up that beautiful Dobe in a hearbeat! I LOVE Dobies- any color!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

That's strange, and you're right, not at all fair. I'd tend to think that blk/white would be more wanted and adopted out quicker, but reds are definitely getting to be more popular I've noticed. Colour popularity shouldn't matter though. I personally prefer reds and sables, but that doesn't mean I'm going to choose a dog based on colour if I wanted to adopt a BC. Are you sure they're purposely pulling reds and merles? Maybe lately the blacks just don't have nice enough temperaments or something?

It is unfair and sad, no doubt.

However, it all comes down to supply and demand. It's a reality.

If a shelter or rescue has space for only three dogs, they would be wiser to take the three dogs that are most likely to find homes in a reasonable length of time. Given, of course, that they have good temperments, etc.

A simple mathmatical example ... if you pull three highly adoptable dogs from a kill shelter, and those dogs find homes in a week, then a week later you can go back to the kill shelter and pull three more adoptable dogs, etc. Therefore, in a year you have saved over 150 dogs from death.

OTOH, if you pull three dogs from the kill shelter the first week that are difficult to place ... size, color, breed, whatever ... they may not get adopted for months. Yes, you've eventually saved three dogs that would otherwise die. But, in the mean time, in the three months it took them to find homes, 36 other dogs died while the space was occupied. So, you might end up finding a home for twelve dogs instead of 150 during the course of a year.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

That's aweful It seems very unfair to adopt a dog just because one is "prettier" than the other. I agree with you completely. I hope the black & white doggie finds a home soon

Kristen & the Dynamutts...

Farmers used to, and some still do, cull any bc puppies who weren't black and white. It was thought the black and whites were better workers or something of the sort. Either way, that's the reason the other colors are not as common, and the reason they stand out at all- because the black and whites were chosen over them for the longest time. Personally, I'd pick the one with the best temperment.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

What really blows my mind is that these are RESCUERS. If our fellow rescuers are like this, what can we expect from the world?

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

I am still curious about the rescuers taking merle over black and white, I mean here is a quote from a BC rescue herself:

I can place a traditional looking dog with issues up the wazoo a lot faster than a perfectly stable merle border collie.
    and severl BC rescue folks agree'd that they have a very difficult time trying to place merle BCs because people want the tradistional black and white..

Farmers used to, and some still do, cull any bc puppies who weren't black and white. It was thought the black and whites were better workers or something of the sort. Either way, that's the reason the other colors are not as common, and the reason they stand out at all- because the black and whites were chosen over them for the longest time.
    your history is a little off here, there are not many coloured BCs because the genes are recessive, so if you are breeding only for working ability the chanced of puting 2 dogs together that carry the recessives are pretty slim. farmers didnt need to cull cooured pupsbecause it was very rare to get them in the first place. then there is the probability that of one coloured pup in the litter growing up to be breeding worthy. when their are 8 pups in a litter and say only 1-2 of then grow up to be breeding worthy and only oe of those pups is coloured, the odds are not in favor of the coloured pup going on to be bred. what farmers culled were the dogs that couldnt do the work, coloured or not. thats not to say their isnt a bias toward black and white dogs, there is, but that not WHY there is so few coloured BCs.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils