Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Maximus - We miss you so much.

RIP Maximus - We miss you so much.

First of all, I should start this thread by apologizing for not posting here for so long. It has been a long and trying couple of months. I also apologize for posting some depressing threads as my first order of business, but my family has suffered some heavy losses, and I thought I should update people.

Maximus, our "oldest" cat (I say oldest as he was 11 months old) passed away this past Thursday, December 27th. My fiance and I had talked about getting a cat for a long, long time, and for his birthday in April, I brought home Max. He was purr-fect, and immediately fit in so well with our family. He cuddled with our dogs, gave us head bumpies 24/7, and drooled when he was happy.

Shortly after getting Max, I brought him to the vet and had a combo test done on him - I had adopted him from a person on craigslist whose cat had an unwanted litter. I should have gone through a reputable rescue that combo tests to BEGIN with, but at the same time, I wouldn't trade our time with him for anything. So, yeah - he tested positive for FIV. Our vet told us that he could live a long and happy life, as long as we treated infections/illnesses with aggressive antibiotics, kept him indoors, fed him high quality food, etc etc.

Starting last Wednesday, the 26th, Max got somewhat lethargic, and wasn't as cuddly as usual. As first I wasn't very concerned, but Thursday morning it was worse. I checked his gums and they were super pale - I made him a vet appointment for the same day, and worried all day at work. When we got to the vet he had declined even further, and they admitted him immediately into their emergency clinic. The first step was to do a CBC and see what his counts were....I suspected that he was anemic because of his coloring, and I was right. Our vet told us that their red count is supposed to register at around "30". Below "20" they recommend a blood transfusion. Our poor Max's was a 5. I felt like someone kicked me in the stomach repeatedly. I felt like the worst Meowmie in the world - how would he have gotten to that point and I hadn't know?? Our vet told us that she suspected the FIV had started attacking his own blood cells, and he had been compensating for his lack of red cells for some time. I asked her what she would do if it was her cat, and without hesitation, she said that she would have him euthanized. She said he was suffering, and out of it, and that we "could spend thousands of dollars on transfusions if we wanted to, but in reality, the FIV would eventually attack that blood as well". She said that ultimately, he was fighting a battle that he couldn't win. I didn't want him to spend his last days in a cage, hooked up to tubes while we fought to keep him around for a few more days. My fiance and I drove to the hospital, sat in the room across the hall from where I said goodbye to Hero 10 days prior, and said goodbye to Maximus. I cried so hard I could barely see. Max was so weak, and he still managed to purr - I'll never forget that.

Here are some pictures of our Maximus - if you get a chance, please say a little prayer that he made it to the bridge safely.

more recently...

Thank you Kay for the awesome siggy!!!

I am so, so sorry.

Thank you and bless you for taking this little guy 'from an unwanted litter' and giving him so much love and a great home, and a caring goodbye when it was his time.

It's always too soon when we love our furbabies as you do.

Bounce and play at the Bridge, Max - and I am sure there will be some doggies to cuddle with!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Oh no, Liz!! I remember so well when you brought Max home, and introduced him to all of us here on PT. And then the updates, as he welcomed all the passers-through, the little ambassador for your rescue work.

Maximus, your life was much too short, but God must have needed a great ambassador at the Bridge for some very important work there. Please let mom and dad have a purr in the ear now and then to remind them you are well.

LES, I can't write anymore, you did so much with him here on PT.
    {{HUGS}}

Dear Maximum... please know that there are a few of my own kitties up there at the bridge who had FIV, and they were the sweetest most loving boys on the planet. I'm so sorry that you were not able to fight it off and live a long and healthy life. Do me a favor and check in on my Mac... he's a tiger boy just like you, and is about 14 years old. He has been there for just a year, and was taken from us too soon after being adopted into a forever home (he was in a shelter for 10 years!).

Look in on your meowmie and family and see that they are doing ok. Let them know that you feel so much better up there and no longer are in pain or suffering. We hate to think that that would happen to our babies.

Sleep softly, sweet Maximus. You'll meet your family again, one fine day.
    Nose kissies from Jennie and her crew

I'm so sorry to hear about Maximus's passing. You gave him a wonderful caring and loving home and I know you'll meet up with him again some day. Until then he'll be up at the Bridge playing with all of the other cats and dogs. RIP sweet Maximus.

Major LES here. I too remember when you first got Maximus.
    I am so sorry.
    RIP Max.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Please accept my heartfelt condolences. Your December certainly wasn't all it could have been. To lose 2 babies in 10 days is just so heartbreaking.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Maximus touched all of us here on PT and we all feel the loss. I'm so sorry about this and I so wish it hadn't happened. You gave him all the love and good care that he could possibly ever need for lifetimes to come. He'll rest, then play hard at the bridge. Peace to all of you and sweet Maximus. Those wonderful, adorable photos will bring comfort to you until you can be reunited.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

That Is Such A Sad Thing When A Cat Dies So Young Before They Come Close To Reaching Thier Potential.
    The Good Lord Will Make Up For That In Pet Heaven.
    Maximus Will Be An Eternal Angel Now In The Pet Angel Army, And I Hear That The Porch Angels Have Taken In Maximus As A Partner In Thier Strip Mall And Restaurant, And He Will Drop By With Kitty Bags For His Dog And Cat Pals, And Will Let You Know That He Misses You. He Has Already Chosen A Place Where You Will Meet Together And Dine.
    One Fine Day.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Sweet Maximus you touched many hearts in a short time. Your furparents were wonderful to give you a wonderful home. They will be in my prayers. Play happily until the day you see them again.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all of your really sweet posts on Maximus. A close friend of mine just sent me this poem - I don't know if a lot of you have seen it before, but it gave me major LES, and I thought you might like to read it, if any of your babies are waiting for you at the bridge.

A Letter From Heaven

To my family, some things I'd like to say,
    But first of all to let you know, that I arrived okay.
    I'm writing this letter from the Bridge - where I now dwell with God
    above -
    Up here there are no tears or sadness, only eternal love.

Please don't be unhappy, just because I am out of sight,
    Remember that I am with you, every morning, noon and night.
    The other day I had to leave you, when my life on earth was through -
    God picked me up and hugged me, and he said, "I welcome you...
    Its good to have you back again, you were missed while you were
    gone...
    As for your family, they'll be here later on".

When you think of my life on earth,
    Because you are only human, they are bound to bring you tears.
    But do not be afraid to cry: it does relieve the pain,
    Remember there would be no! flowers, unless there was some rain.

God gave me a list of important things, that he would like for me to
    do,
    And foremost on his special list, was to watch over and care for you.
    And when you lie down and try to sleep, with the day's chores put to
    flight,
    Remember that God is closest to you, in the middle of the night.

I wish that I could tell you, everything that God has planned,
    But even if I could tell you, you wouldn't understand.
    But one thing is for certain, though my earthly life is over,
    I'm more happy, healthy and content, than I ever was before.

If you can help another, who is in sorrow or in pain,
    Then you can say to God at night; "My day was not in vain".
    And when you're walking down the street, with me on your mind;
    I'm walking in your footsteps, only a short trot behind.

There are rocky roads ahead of you, and many hills to climb,
    But a rescuer's heart is big and strong, just take it one day at a
    time.
    For it is simply God's nature, and I'd like it for you too,
    That as you give to the world, the world will give to you.

And when your time on earth is up, to leave your body and be free,
    Remember you are not "going," You are coming up here to me.

Unhappy

The poem was nice, and gives some comfort after losing a beloved pet. I am so sorry to read about you Maximus. I remember seeing all his baby pictures and thinking was a reat sweetie he is! And he slept with your dogs!! That just amazed me!!! I hope Maximus has bumped into our Nicholas, who left for the Bridge a few days ahead of Maximus. Maximus is back with his buddy Commudis(sorry about the spelling!). Sleep softly, little Maximus...
    Nine is Fine!!

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your Nicholas, how sad I hope that they can be buddies at the bridge.

I was disappointed at not being able to bury Maximus with Commodus in our back yard - the ground is frozen solid and we couldn't even get a shovel in to it We're having him privately cremated though, which I guess is alright too.

Luckynumber7, that poem is amazing. Thanks for sharing it.
    I'm sorry you didn't get to bury Maximus as you had hoped but maybe in the spring you can sprinkle his ashes around a tree or bush and as it grows, think of him. I used to put the ashes of our RB pets around a willow tree and then when we put our house up for sale, I asked my husband to fill a bucket with all the soil around the base of the tree and then I sprinkled that around a big maple at our next home.

If you are up to keeping Maximus' urn til spring, then it can be buried beside Commodus.

{{{{hugs}}}}
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda