Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: BraveHeart (disappointing UPDATE 3-17-08, page 7)

BraveHeart (disappointing UPDATE 3-17-08, page 7)

New update:
    The good news

His kidneys are STILL improving!!!

His BUN (normal is 10-30) was 180, 1 week later was 103 : NOW (3 more weeks later) is 85

His Creatinine (normal is 0.3-2.1) was 8.2, 1 week later was 5.3 : NOW (3 more weeks later) is 3.5

His Phosphorous (normal is 3.4-8.5) was 20, 1 week later was 13.3 : NOW (3 more weeks later) is 10.2

The bad news

He is anemic. The most likely reason is discribed here:

Some anemia causes include:

Kidney failure. Anemia of chronic failure is primarily
    associated with reduced stimulation of bone marrow to
    produce red cells due to low production of the hormone
    erythropoietin.

So he will start a new medicine called Epogen (see this website:
    http://www.petplace.com/drug-library...rit/page1.aspx..)

Also found that Any severe, chronic disease or Very poor nutrition can cause the bone marrow to not produce enough red blood cells. Definitely Braveheart is in this category.
    Last edited by jenluckenbach; 03-17-2008 at 07:42 PM.

So glad to hear his kidneys continue to improve!

I hope the Epogen will help. Can they pin down a specific cause for the anemia?

We are saying our prayers and sending our heartfelt good healing wishes and energies to sweet BraveHeart and to you, Jen.

Love, hugs, and purrs,
    Pat, Peony, Sydney, Poppy, Elmer, and Priscilla Angel who is watching over BraveHeart and purring to him
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Im glad that Braveheart is improving! Hopefully the new medication will improve his anemia and get him in top shape again. Bless you for helping this sweet kitty

That's good news for BraveHeart with the tests coming down. I hope the new med works good for him.

BTW you might want to change the title of this thread or add *update* to it. You had me worried that BraveHeart had passed away with the way it's written. I'm glad to see that he is still with us though.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I really hope the new medication helps. If the kidneys keep improving, maybe the anemia will get better?

Also, BraveHeart baby, you gotta start EATING on your own.

Jen - what is the normal range for the levels you are posting? Glad that they are going DOWN.

Poor baby has been through SO much pain and illness, the health he has recovered is miraculous. I loved how you said he snuggled right into you at the vet - a real mommy's boy!

HUGS and more prayers going out for BraveHeart's continued recovery.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I'm glad to hear that he's been improving and I hope he'll continue to do so. I'll continue to keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1
    Jen - what is the normal range for the levels you are posting? Glad that they are going DOWN.
    The normal ranges are posted in the first post, the numbers in the parenthesis.

Jen, I tried to see if I could find out how old BraveHeart is, but I cannot seem to locate the thread with that info. So, how old is he? Our oldest cat, Norton, at 16, was recently found to be anemic. Our vet said it can be a disease of older cats(just like older people). We have Norton on Pet Tabs with Iron(1.25mg/2.5cc), which he gets twice a day. Nortie is scheduled for a repeat CBC on 3/11. If the values do not go up, he will be started on the epogen just like BraveHeart. Luckily, Norton does not have kidney disease. Sorry to yak about my cat, but just thought if BraveHeart was an older gent, that with the kidney disease is why he might be anemic.
    Nine is Fine!!

Oh Jen, isn't this good news, that the blood test results continue to improve! How exciting!!!!

I will pray that the anemia is a passing event which, with meds and continued improved health overall and good nutrition, will correct itself.

Way to go, Braveheart! He MUST feel SO much better!

I have thought about this boy every day while I was gone. When I could get online on the boat, I always came here to see if there were any updates. I just feel so bonded with him and whenever I looked at his pictures that I took with me, I would tell him how much I wished he could be mine and how much I would love him forever. Could I dare request some pictures of this handsome boy?

I am glad to hear he is continueing to improve and hope he keeps on improving. Thank God you took him in, he is just SO special!!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Glad to hear he's doing better!
    I hope the new meds help him even more!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Jen, if Epogen costs a fortune (which it can for human patients) and if you need help, send up a flare. Keep up the good work, precious BraveHeart. hughughughughug
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Thanks for the update, glad to hear the dear boy is doing better. Prayers continuing.

BraveHeart is estimated to be 9 years old. But no one knows exactly.

The epogen will cost $70 for 20 doses (given once every 48 hours). I am unsure if he will continue after the 20 doses are up, it depends on how he improves.

I am glad you are back, Laura. I tell BraveHeart about you all the time.

We Have Dropped A Note With Mr Scrappy, Mr Fluffy And The Moose Angels To Come Down And Serenade Braveheart With Thier Combined Purrrs And Cat Warmth.
    That Should Make Anyone Feel Better!!
    Bless You, Jen For Nursing Bravehaert Back To Health.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS