Thread: Calling all GOLDEN lovers - Surgery Scheduled

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.

Calling all GOLDEN lovers - Surgery Scheduled

PT'ers, there is a Golden that needs some help. Will you help me get Gracie's story out there to ANY organizations that might be able to help? Please cross-post. And if you have advice or suggestions or experience or knowledge, or whatever, please post them in Gracie's thread on IMOM. Her Mom may never join this board -- but she is in constant contact on IMOM. So, please post your suggestions HERE

Gracie's story so far:

Gracie lives in Colorado with her person, Noel
    Gracie is a spayed 5-year-old Golden Retriever who, until recently, was a very active dog, enjoying hiking, swimming and other outdoor adventures. Unfortunately, Gracie has developed end-stage degenerative arthritis and is in danger of losing her ability to walk altogether. She is in a lot of pain and the medicine she is using makes her extremely tired and sometimes sick to her stomach. The vet says Gracie needs a surgery called arthodesis, or she will lose the ability to walk.

Her vet says that she needs surgery (pancarpal arthodesis)
    The estimate for the surgery is $2744 - $3596
    IMOM has helped raise $1250 and Noel was encouraged to apply to other organizations for the remainder. 3/13 Update: Only $974 needed.

Noel is recoverying from emergency surgery, herself. She is a student and works a part time job. We all know what that means.... BROKE! We've all been there.

Noel has applied everywhere she can think of. But, has not found another organzation that can help. It was suggested Noel hold a garage sale and even though she has little money herself, it turns out that she had a garage sale this past summer to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society because her Grandmother died of leukemia. She wanted to honor her Grandmother and help children suffering from the disease. As she posted in the IMOM thread "Little did I know my own little peanut needed help...I just didn't know."

So, if you have any ideas or suggestions, please let Noel know on the IMOM board. She has researched many organizations and either they are out of funds right now, or she/Gracie don't qualify for that particular organization.

I'm not familar with all of IMOM's policies (maybe $1250 is the max, I dunno), but I'm hoping that they will reopen Gracie's case for fundraising.
    Last edited by kuhio98; 03-24-2008 at 01:05 PM.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

It was suggested that Gracie's Mom try Mosby Foundation and Codys Club. She is in the proces of applying to them.

Please keep those ideas coming!

3/13/08 Update

Well, I've never seen this happen before!!!! Impressed by all the folks here who inquired about donating to Gracie, IMOM has reopened Gracie's case!!!!!

There is $974 left to raise so that Gracie can get her operation. The vet is donating a lot of his services to make this happen.

Please cross-post. If you or anyone you know is a Golden lover or can afford to donate, please go to: http://www.imom.org/donation/ Please designate all donations with: GF - Gracie Stevens.

You can follow her thread here

Thank you for helping this baby! I'm hoping that when Gracie is through this crisis, Noel (her mom) will join us here.

Gracie's vet recommends surgery this month. Anyone have any ideas to offer Noel (Gracie's Mom)? Last I heard Gracie is around $800 short for surgery. If you have any fundraising suggestions, please post them.

Thank you.

More info from Noel in response to questions about whether family could help with Gracie's surgery.....

I am so very far away from my family as they are all in Connecticut and I do not get to see them very often. Quite literally Gracie is my little family. I am in school studying architecture with an empahasis in Historic Preservation and Sustainable Growth. Gracie and I got our start when I rescued her and it was honestly love at first sight. I got her when I was living here in Colorado.

She means the world to me, which is why I am so afraid that we have so much more money to raise:-(

Fund Update as of 3/18/08: GF - Gracie Stevens 1,470.00
    Even with the vet volunteering his time (thank you!), $974 is still needed.

One of the IMOM donors has issued a matching challenge! CatPaws will match the next $100 in donations for Gracie.

Here's an update from Noel ~

Yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You know, I just got chills and again with the crying! It is amazing how you can just wake up praying for a little miracle and somehow you Angels pull through!! Thank you Maribeth and Catpaws...(I am still learning everyone's first name and not sure how to look it up??? Can you share your first name with me?) I love your generous spirit and that you have rallied once again. Last night I went to bed extremely worried bc I wasn't sure if we were going to be ok...and then here you all are again, in Gracie's corner. I love you for that.

Gracie...oh where to start? Gracie has been the sparkle in my eye for quite some time. I got her as a young puppy and she was just one of the most well behaved, curious and gentle dogs I had ever met. I know they say Golden's are such a great bread, but I literally had no idea. She went cross country skiing with me when she was just about 5 months old and could barely run and keep up but had so much energy I wanted her to get it all out before going to Christmas dinner!! She spent most of the time riding on my chest in my backpack. I have a photo I am going to look for it tonight. The point is she has a love for the outdoors and everytime we used to go she was just bouncing all over. Once when we were in National forest land she found a herd of elk which really scared me (yes, dogs are allowed off leash up there) but she just went up to them and they did nothing. Just looked at her and she just layed down to give them a little distance and watched them. Sometimes, and I have always thought this...she communicates with animals...especially squirrels. I sit back and watch her interact with other creatures, kids, seniors...just everyone and think if we all had that kind of manner and curiousity to explore the little things in life our world would be much different.

I thought about the response I received from her vet and everyone that worked there when we found out how bad her wrist really was. I had known that they loved Gracie but it was amazing to see everyone in tears and my vet who is EXTREMELY gruff and old school (and loving and awesome) was so upset. He just kept saying what an amazing dog she is and how she really deserve a chance at a good life again, because with this surgery it is possible.

Since I have found out that she needs the surgery, I myself have stopped going to the mountains here in Colorado no matter how much it means to me to be up there, I have to be honest, the one time I tried to go...I cried because I could not stop thinking about how much it means to her to be out and up there being free and she can't.

When Gracie rides in the car she sometimes gets up in the front seat and stares at me and the best part...and I mean, I wouldn't trade this for anything in the world... she puts her paw on my hand and leans her head back against the seat and just looks at me. She makes me feel like there is limitless love and that we are a team.

When all of this is behind us and we are able to take our first walk in the woods again (after a few months of recovery) I will post a picture on here so you can all see Gracie the way she really is, instead of in so much pain. I want her to be a part of my life for many years to come (and with your help, it is going to be possible) and to explore nature and all the wonderful parts of life that make having a companion like Gracie so special. I believe in living a healthy life and always taking a minute to stop and literally smell the roses. If nothing else, I hope this story reminded you to find something beautiful in the day. Even if just for a second. That is what Gracie is to me...a constant reminder that no matter what, life is truly a gift meant to be enjoyed and taken in.

I love you all for helping Gracie and I through this and we are getting closer by the day to reaching our goal!!! Can you believe it??? I am beside myself with love and joy being a part of this group!

If you know anyone who might need to be reminded about the simple joys in life, please share my story about Gracie and ask them to make a donation and to just take a moment and find something that makes them smile...it is the best thank you she can give!!

Much love, Noel and Gracie...the Mountain Mommas

All funds have been raised for Gracie's surgery! Thank you everyone who helped spread the word.

You can follow Gracie's case on this thread: http://www.imom.org/community/index.php?showtopic=4248

I'll post when she has a surgery date.

Update from Noel, March 24 ~

Thank you everyone for your love!!

Gracie will be getting her surgery on April 17th or 18th!! We are excited to put this all behind us and move on with the healing process! I will keep you posted about her recovery and what is in store for us next!

I am thankful for each and everyone of you and hope that many blessings come to you all!!

Much love, talk soon!

IMOM has several ongoing cases that might interest you. Current PINs (Pets in Need)