Thread: Senior Golden Retriever needs home :(

Senior Golden Retriever needs home :(

I HATE this but...my co-worker rescued a Golden retriever around 2 years ago from a rescue group in upstate NY (Binghamton). His name is Dillon and he's very sweet and energetic. Probably not any more energetic than any other 10 year old Golden but they feel he's too active for them. She and her husband are older and the husband has lung disease and they just don't want to keep Dillon. My friend and I visited them at their lakehouse and took Dillon in the kayak with us; it was so cute. He loves to play in and around the water and they just don't do it with him. He does go for a 45 minute walk in the morning but from what I can tell, that's it for his daily exercise and then he's hyper all day...poor baby; wants to go play by the lake. They called the rescue as they believed they would have to surrender him back to them but they said they won't take him back because he's a senior dog (??). She is looking for a home for him but mentioned the humane society (gasp). Our local humane society is pretty much no kill and I'm sure he'd get adopted but I told her I would put this on PT and see if anyone would want him. I can't take him as I have 2 cats and just adopted a puppy and an adult dog would put my cats and my housemate over the edge

If anyone can help or has any other thoughts, let me know.
    Thanks,
    Deb

You can go to petfinder.com and find local Golden rescues.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Thanks; I'll try that.

Wow, what a sad situation. I would have thought these folks & the dog
    would be a perfect match. Maybe the lady is just overwhelmed with caring
    for her husband to cope with a old, but healthy pup. Sure hope he finds a
    new forever family to share his time with.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

That makes me sad. I rescued an 8 year old Golden Retriever a year ago who has many medical issues. It is a struggle everyday, with medicines and such. I also have a husband who is ill and I understand the situation fully. I will pray for a solution.

Thanks...me too.

More info on Dillon

Hi,

I was wondering if you had more info on Dillon. Like is he cuddly, what does he like, temperment, does he get along with cats and other dogs?

Im looking for a SR dog was hoping to find something on this side of the continent but will consider tranport for the right dog(Im in Montana)

Thanks

Thanks for your response! Sorry I'm not getting back to you until today...I forgot to check yesterday. I will call my friend (co-worker) tonight and see if I can send you her phone number through private message. From what I know of Dillon, he's very sweet and if given the opportunity for some exercise, is actually quite calm (we had him IN my kayak as we rode around the lake...he loved it). Thanks and I'll be in touch.

Thanks

Thanks for getting back to me I look forward to hearing from you(will go check my msgs now)

Therese

Is there any update on this dog? I am certain that there are Golden Retriever Rescue groups out there that would help. Please let me know by email or PM if there is something I can help with. I wish I could take him, myself, but it wouldn't work right now in our home.

I just contacted my co-worker. She said the woman at the original rescue will be taking Dillon back and she is now happy to have him. I hadn't realized this but he is 12 years old. I told her about LittletSunshine in Montana and she was so excited to think there might be someone out there who might want Dillon as a pet vs. him living out his days at the rescue. She is bringing him there on 5/13/08 but he will still be available for adoption. I will PM LittletSunshine right now with my co-workers phone number; she would be happy to tell you all about Dillon. Thanks so much to everyone concerned!

I love Goldies and glad that Dillon will be ok.

When I was little my neighbour let me walk her Goldie (Saba) and for a dog that was pretty neglected she was just the best natured girl in the world. We spent lots of happy days playing in the park and my friend and I used to club together to buy her yummy food

Damn, now I want one...........
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

Denise, I just checked out your website. It is very cool and it was nice to see a picture of you as well

Thank you

Quite proud of my first efforts
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk