Thread: C.O.O.L. A New Law Coming

C.O.O.L. A New Law Coming

I think this has been a long time coming & a little watered down, but
    generally a great idea.I've often wondered about the meat & produce I
    buy at the local supermarkets. What do you think?

New law requires labels on meat
    Country-of-origin labels to be required

By Stephen J. Hedges | Washington Bureau
    September 13, 2008
    WASHINGTON — In a few weeks, American shoppers will be able to look at a cut of meat or a pound of hamburger and see something they've never seen before—a label that says where the meat came from.

Starting Sept. 30, food manufacturers and grocery stores have to comply with a new federal law that requires "Country of Origin Labeling," or COOL, on beef, pork, chicken and lamb.

The new labels will tell consumers whether their food came from animals raised in the U.S. or another country. The law also covers perishable items, such as fruits and vegetables and a variety of nuts.

Some say this will enable consumers to avoid food that, for example, comes from countries that they have heard have food safety problems. It also will allow consumers to stick to American-grown food, if that is their preference.

The complexities of the livestock industry, some product labels may list multiple countries. That's especially true of ground beef, because some meat processors combine cuts from a number of countries to make ground meat and hamburger patties.

Food safety groups have hailed COOL as a necessary step toward broader consumer education and buying choices. But now they complain that the Department of Agriculture has defined it as narrowly as possible.

For example, they say, the agency has defined a host of foods as "processed," such as mixed frozen vegetables, which exempts them from the new law.

"When they finalized this rule, they bent over backward to make as few things be covered as possible," said Michael Hansen, a senior staff scientist with Consumers Union. "There are giant, giant loopholes in the law."

Many in the meat industry, these advocates say, have fought the new labeling law because they don't want consumers to know that they're buying imported hamburger and beef cuts. The USDA also stood against COOL, according to Lloyd Day, head of the agency's Agricultural Marketing Service, because of its projected impact on consumers and its estimated cost to the food industry: $2.5 billion in the first year.

But Congress has decreed that COOL will take effect on Sept. 30, so the debate over its merits is largely over. Now the industry is bracing for COOL's impact.

"We don't know exactly how it's all going to work," said Colin Woodall, the executive director of legislative affairs for the National Cattlemen's Beef Association. "And we won't know until it's fully up and running."

Flak from food firms
    In an era of bar codes and tracking numbers, COOL might seem simple to enact. For a few food manufacturers, it will be.

"There's no change for me, because all of my ground beef has always carried the born-and-raised-in-the-U.S.A. label because I track everything," said Mike Callicrate, who operates Ranch Foods Direct in Colorado Springs. "It's not that complicated."

But getting COOL enacted has in fact been a complicated six-year effort. Congress first passed COOL in 2002, but the bill ran into heavy political resistance from food companies and the government itself. USDA and even Congress sided with food manufacturers who said the law would be too costly to enact, and COOL was delayed.

By 2005, only the portion of COOL pertaining to fish and seafood was in effect.

The idea gained momentum, though, following a string of recent food-borne illness outbreaks, new concerns over the safety of food imports and some of the largest meat recalls in history.

What is 'processed?'
    One of the biggest disagreements over the law's fine points is what constitutes a processed food item.

Agriculture tried to clarify this with some guidelines issued in August. A bag of imported frozen peas, for instance, must list its country of origin under COOL. But a bag of peas mixed with carrots is considered processed, and does not require such a label.

"It's considered processed if it's combined with one other ingredient," said Patty Lovera, assistant director of Food & Water Watch, a non-profit consumer rights organization. "We think they're being incredibly broad."

USDA's Day said that pre-packaged imported foods like peas and carrots have to carry an origin label.

But if vegetables are imported in bulk and then mixed together by a U.S. company, then they are considered processed and don't need one.

Another controversy involves imported livestock. Under COOL, meat derived from cattle imported into the U.S. for immediate slaughter can bear a label that states it's a product of its origin country and the United States, even though the animal was raised entirely outside the U.S.

Some fear that some meatpackers who slaughter both imported and domestic cattle won't bother with specific labels, and instead will apply the same label to both.

Other problems involve verifying the origins of thousands of cattle slaughtered each day to feed the U.S. meat market. Woodall's group is just one of a number of industry associations that joined to draft an affidavit that will make it easier for ranchers to show where their cattle came from—information that will be vital for COOL down the production line.

USDA met with the cattle groups in Washington earlier this month and approved the idea.

The agency issued its interim version of the law in August but has left itself room for adjustment.

Day said USDA hopes to draft a final version of the COOL regulations before the Bush administration's term is up in January. He said the department will be in an "education and outreach" phase for the next six months, taking into account the problems retailers and food companies experience with the new labeling requirements.

Consumer groups fear that those problems could lead to adjustments of COOL.

"Deep down a lot of people didn't want it to happen," said Lovera, of Food & Water Watch. "Now they've got to figure out how to implement it."

[email protected]
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I have always shopped at markets that COOL. I think it's vital to "shop local" whenever possible. I'm a Farmers Market junkie and hit most of the local ones once a week. It's a bit more expensive but worth it. I try to save money in other areas but produce and meats/seafood have to be top quality. It makes all the difference in the world!
    Claudia

something you don't have to worry about when you hunt

We have FRESH dove breast in the fridge for tomorrow night and we know where they came from

Can't wait for deer season. That will pretty much replace our beef consumption for the winter... at least.

but good idea

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

Quote Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post

We have FRESH dove breast in the fridge for tomorrow night and we know where they came from

Can't wait for deer season. That will pretty much replace our beef consumption for the winter... at least.

but good idea

Thank Heavens we've passed the Frontier Days down here in the lower
    48. Creating fire from rocks & all that is not my cup of tea, thanks.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
    Nope, but you do have to worry if it had it's rabies shots.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!

You known, I was really surprised that hamburger can be made from
    meat coming from different countries. Silly me, thought it all came from the same steer.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

I hope it tells if the meat comes from a natural animal or a cloned one. I don't eat meat very often but can't stand the thought of eating a cloned animal.

Cloned animals have health problems that I don't want to expose myself too.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    yeah... cause that's what we do lol.

Hunting for fresh free range meat to cook over our fire made from hitting stones together... actually rubbing sticks works better.

Last I checked we DO live in the lower 48 lol.

Nope, but you do have to worry if it had it's rabies shots.
    That's why you cook it fully.

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

You known, I was really surprised that hamburger can be made from
    meat coming from different countries. Silly me, thought it all came from the same steer.

Actually... Most ground beef comes from "retired" dairy cows. Unless you are buying very high quality ground beef from a butcher, or making your own from high grade steak, you are eating a retired dairy cow.

Being "from the farm", I know that a dairy cow, on average, has about 7 good milking years in her. Figure about 10 months of milking per year. You cut her off one month before and after the has her calf. Even though 80% of the time the calf is sold 3 days after birth for veal.

I think it would do the people good to really understand just HOW that hamburger gets on your plate.

I am just counting the days until I can be a 'lowly' farmer again.
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

- Homer Simpson

"If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Your contempt for the people who make your life easy is sad, but not shocking.

I am very proud of the fact that I am not dependant on modern convienience to survive. Sure, it is nice, but if the lights go out I am still good to go. You?

Futher, do you even realize (or care) just how arrogant you sound in this post?
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

- Homer Simpson

"If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

- Sun Tzu - Art of War