Thread: Adopting a cat from same litter question

Adopting a cat from same litter question

We have a 10 month old female Egyptian Mau that we adopted from a breeder at 4 months. She is very social, very spoiled, and very smart.

Our friends adopted her sister at the same time. Because of health issues, cancer and wheel chair issues, they must give up their kitty. They have told us they never had time to play with her, she really is aloof, doesn't respond to her name, and sleeps all the time.

We will adopt her and bring her into our home. We are curious about whether two sisters will 'know' each other at this age (10 months old) and if that will help them adapt to each other? Also, our kitty is playful and full of energy. Will the new kitty be overwhelmed by her energy or do you think she'll join in the fun. Will our kitty be jealous?

We have our fingers crossed about having two cats as we've always had just the one. We know this is a good idea, but would love to hear anyone's thought about having two girls, same litter, but with totally different living environments while they were kittens.

You just never know how two cats will interact until it happens. I think that even though they're siblings, it would be a good idea to keep new kitty in a separate room at first and introduce them gradually and under supervision.

I'm certainly not a feline psychologist, but it sounds like new kitty may be a bit depressed. She may be reacting not only to the lack of playtime but also to household stress resulting from your friends' unfortunate health issues. Once she's settled into your home, I wouldn't be surprised if she comes out of her shell and starts playing like the kitten she still is.

I agree, you should treat her just as a new member, not as a sibling. We use the supervised methode. The new kid is keep in a seperate room, TV room, the door is open when we are there. It does not take long before every one gets to meet the new kid. With in a cuple of days the door is opened. Yes we have had a few disagreements, but even the ones that have been in the house for years still do.
    Just remember that everyone has a differant persnallity.
    GILL & Crew;

Time and patience are the key. There is no such thing as family reunions in the feline world.

I learned that the hard way when I took Mollie Rose back to East Dorset, VT to visit her roots. Bad idea, BBAAAAAAADDDDD idea!!! My arms almost became shredded wheat. I guess her mama wasn't that happy to see her. Nor was Mollie Rose to see her.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Go through the new cat introductions, as if they are not related. And keep your expectations reasonable: you can insist that they live together in harmony, but you can not make them best friends. That they must decide for themselves.

That said, these are both young high energy cats. They should get along within 3 to 4 weeks, and be racing aroud together entertaining all of you! Be sure to let us know!!