Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newest Rescue...Poor Milo FLEA BOMBED!

Newest Rescue...Poor Milo FLEA BOMBED!

We received a call about a man who had to give up his 16 cats because he had recently become homeless. When we heard that one was injured, we (of course) rushed right over to assess the situation. That's when we saw Milo, who has swollen eyes and seems to be unable to walk, though he can move his legs. He is going bald from what we assume is flea dirt (it is black and crusty and all over him) and he is severely malnourished. The people who had him said that he had been hiding from the landlord, who (I believe unknowingly) set off flea bombs inside the apartment where he was hiding.

When he was found, Milo was dragging himself aroud by the front paws. He also seems to have some internal bleeding indicated by the dark color of his stool. If anyone has any advice or support, we could use all we can get. He is scheduled for a 1:10 appointment today, so we will update after that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	July 14 20095 (4).jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	43077   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	July 14 20095 (8).jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	43078   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	July 14 20095 (9).jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	43079   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	July 14 20095 (7).jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1,008.6 KB 
ID:	43080   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	July 14 20095 (11).jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	864.7 KB 
ID:	43081  

No advice. You're doing the best thing by taking him to the vet. I sure hope the li'l guy is gonna be ok. Prayers are going up right now.....
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Only prayers...please update as soon as you can! Bless you for your devotion.

Please update us when you can after the vet visit. It looks like he is willing to eat, which is a positive sign. Is he able to pee and poop normally or is he neurologically impaired in that area also?

Prayers and a candle! Keep us posted!

Hi Lizzie-

He did try some hard food last night but I gave him can food and that seems to work as well. He ate this morning but he's not interested in drinking any water. His poop was black when it came out, I know you would think it would be if it was sitting but he was siting on the peoples couch and he pooped black poop. We have the sample at the vets right now.

It looks like he's impaired in the poop and pee area, my husband told me earlier today that he peed in his cat carrier and that's where he was lying so my husband tried to clean him up some.

I hope we can fix him though, the only thing I'm more worried about is where I'm going to find the extra cash to help him because I know this isn't going to be cheap.

I am happy he is willing to eat because the people we got him off of last night said he hasn't been eatting but I think he just couldn't handle eatting hard food. I'm not sure how his teeth look but we'll find out this afternoon.

melissa

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
    Please update us when you can after the vet visit. It looks like he is willing to eat, which is a positive sign. Is he able to pee and poop normally or is he neurologically impaired in that area also?

Oh No how so Sad.. Yes he looks so skinny.. Poor wittle baby.. I sure hope Milo will get well soon.. Hey try some canned pumpkin & or some chicken broth to help with his stools..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Oh that poor boy! I hope the vet can treat whatever is wrong with him. Thanks for helping - you're an angel!!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Is is possible that, rather than internal bleeding causing his stools to be black (and I believe it has to be high up in the gastrointestinal system to cause that, whereas lower bleeds just show blood in the stool) it could be all the flea dirt he has eaten? After all, that is partly dried blood - his blood. Probably wishful thinking on my part.

Is your rescue having a hard time getting donations overall? Can you put up a special drive on your rescue's web page? You are right, it could be a major expense if they are going to pull him through when his systems have been so poisoned. Do you have the name of the product used so you can give that to the vet? The shelter I work with is getting donations, but they are also getting lots of cats back that were previously adopted from the shelter, older cats that need more vet care, and their adoption rate overall is definitely down.

Hi Lizzie-

It could be the dried blood he's eaten I'm not sure.

I actually don't have a rescue. I work with Shirley Fonda but I only volunteer with her and she needs her $$ for her cats so I can't really ask her for money.

Shirley did originally tell me about this guy and the cats but I had no idea that there was one dragging his feet.

I just rescue cats from time to time on my own and hope I usually have the funds to help out but right now I have about $50 to my name for him and that's about it.

I don't have the name of the product that was used in the flea bomb.

He is at the vets right now and his temperature is 96 degrees which is very low and they were going to give him a bath but they need to wait until his temperature gets up there but he may not make it.

I have to be prepared for that. So they are running blood tests right now to see if they can find anything out and they are going to run an FIV/FELV combo test and give him a bath because she said if the chemical is still on his skin he needs that off ASAP.

I will keep you all posted as soon as I hear anything from them.

Poor guy please say a pray for him. BTW when the vet sat him on the ground he did try to walk but he was falling over a lot almost like those CH kitties but she thinks it's some worse than that but we don't know.

Melissa

I can donate a wee tiny bit...just give us the PayPal or the shelter's address (if they are the ones taking him to the vet) and we can sure help a bit.

Hopefully some sub-q's will help flush the gunk out.

Prayers for beautiful Milo!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Oh this is terrible, poor little guy. I do hope that he makes it, Melissa. I sure don't want him to suffer. Gonna pump up the volume on the prayers.....
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Catty-

Thank you so much you are just too wonderful. Please don't put yourself in any bad position or your kitties by donating.

It's just with everything that has been happening with Hermes (even though now he's doing very well) we currently owe the vet over $200 and I post dated checks to cover that.

My paypal address is [email protected] this way I can directly pay the vet with my paypal card.

Thank you,
    Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    I can donate a wee tiny bit...just give us the PayPal or the shelter's address (if they are the ones taking him to the vet) and we can sure help a bit.

Hopefully some sub-q's will help flush the gunk out.

Prayers for beautiful Milo!

I'm glad he's in the hands of a vet and getting all the help possible.

Did they say his temperature might be low because he is anemic? Perhaps they will try warm sub-q fluids to warm him up. I guess the blood tests will show any toxic impact on his liver, kidneys or pancreas. On the plus side, he is eating and his condition hasn't worsened from when you found him.

It's going to be hard for you if they find he might pull through if they can do some expensive procedures, such as a blood transfusion. I wish I could send something other than good wishes but I'm in the same position as you, owing the vet. I've been paying him 2/3 of my food budget since February and am longing for September when I can buy something other than oats, beans, onions, bananas and rice - it gets really boring. The things we do for these divine creatures!

Edited to add that you might want to post on the Cats General page if you find you need donations to pull Milo through this. He's very sweet looking and I'm sure people will want to help, as they have many times before. I've been amazed by how much the people on Pet Talk have pulled together to help each other in the past.
    Last edited by Lizzie; 07-14-2009 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Adding to post.

HI Lizzie-

They didn't say but they said the blood test should show if he is anemic I believe and should show any toxic impact on those other organs as well.

The only thing is he wouldn't drink for me at all. I hope he does pull through without a blood transfusion. I will take all the well wishes I can

I really don't like asking people for money to be honest, it's hard time for everyone and I know people on Pet Talk have been so wonderful to me in the past that I hate to even think of asking.

Thank you,
    Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
    I'm glad he's in the hands of a vet and getting all the help possible.

Did they say his temperature might be low because he is anemic? Perhaps they will try warm sub-q fluids to warm him up. I guess the blood tests will show any toxic impact on his liver, kidneys or pancreas. On the plus side, he is eating and his condition hasn't worsened from when you found him.

It's going to be hard for you if they find he might pull through if they can do some expensive procedures, such as a blood transfusion. I wish I could send something other than good wishes but I'm in the same position as you, owing the vet. I've been paying him 2/3 of my food budget since February and am longing for September when I can buy something other than oats, beans, onions, bananas and rice - it gets really boring. The things we do for these divine creatures!

Edited to add that you might want to post on the Cats General page if you find you need donations to pull Milo through this. He's very sweet looking and I'm sure people will want to help, as they have many times before. I've been amazed by how much the people on Pet Talk have pulled together to help each other in the past.