Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newest Rescue...Poor Milo FLEA BOMBED!

I will help, too, Melissa. I closed my Paypal account so I'll just send a check.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I am in tears about little Milo. I would donate but all of my extra money is going toward Taz's outstanding vet bill. I'm sorry.

I will be hoping very hard that he pulls through this.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Do you have an update on Milo?
    Blessings,
    Mary

Sorry about not updating sooner, yesterday was just a crazy day and last night was just exhausting but I'm doing it for Milo so that's all that matters.

I went to the vets last night after work because I didn't hear anything and I met with Dr. Porter and she said that his FIV/FELV test was Negative and his blood tests weren't really bad at all which surpised me and her as well. His white blood cells were down but she said that's probably because he's anemic.

They bathed him yesterday and he looked a ton better. His temperature did go down a little bit from the bath and they had him on a heating pad with towels around him to try to keep him warm.

Milo did eat a little bit for them. They did get a little bit of fluid into him yesterday and they started him on an antibotic and they gave him a little bit of a muscle relaxor to help with the twitching.

Dr. Porter told me to stop by around 7 p.m. to pick him up since they didn't have anyone to stay with him that evening so I went and ran some quick errands and stopped back at the vets at 7 p.m. and I had to wait for about 45 minutes till I saw the vet and Milo.

The vet said just try to get his temperature up over night as best as I could.

So I got him home (I purchased 2 new fleece blankets to help him stay warm) and we warmed up our heating pad and placed it under his blanket for him but first testing it to make sure it wasn't too hot for him.

He had 2 warm bottles next to him that the vet gave us for him for the night and that seemed to keep him really warm as well.

I was able to get a little bit of food in him last night but not as much as I would have liked to seen him eat.

I got up several times last night to check on him, we kept the heating pad on all last night to try to provide him some extra warmth as well as several blankets on him as well.

This morning I got up around 6 a.m. and I tried to get him to eat some canned food after I warmed it up and he wouldn't eat.

I tried some other type of canned food and he still wouldn't eat.

I'm really worried. He did pee about 3 times last night, I kept checking him since he didn't move at all last night.

He's at the vets this morning I just dropped him off about 7:45 a.m. so I'm going to have to wait until the vet exams him this morning and we'll see what they say. I hope he perks up some and that his temperature went up I hope. Yesterday when I left the vets his temperature was 96.8 degrees which you all know is very low for a cat.

Milo I pray that you are going to make it. I did hear that the Landlord did know that the cat was in the apartment when he set the Flea Bomb off and that Milo was fine before the Flea Bomb. But like I told the vet I'm not 100% sure that this is accurate but we are treating him aggressively and hopefully he will pull through with time.

Milo I'm already in love with you, please be strong big guy.

Melissa

PRAYERS for Milo!!!!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I'm just now seeing this thread. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are going out to Milo. Please continue to keep us updated about him.

Well I just called the vets, Good news his temperature is normal!

YEAH!

He did eat a little for them. The doctor is in surgery right now and will call me back later on today.

Melissa

He's got a lot of prayer power pulling for him, Melissa. Better and better.....
    Blessings,
    Mary

Thank you for the update; I'm very relieved and pleased at the good news about his temperature and blood results. Are they giving him supplements in his food to increase his iron intake, do you know? Has the vet said anything about his tremors and inability to walk and control his bladder? Does she think those symptoms might go away in time? Did she talk to you about the effects of flea bombs, what to expect, etc. or would she need to know what kind it was?

You did a very wonderful job caring for Milo overnight, helping to bring his temperature up, and all through this distressing time for him. Does he respond to you?

Hi Lizzie-

I don't know if they are giving him any supplements in his food or anything but I will ask. I haven't spoken to the vet yet today but I will ask about the bladder.

He was able to walk yesterday at the vets, he just fell over when he tried, he'd get back up and he'd go to a corner to help support him.

The vet did tell me yesterday that she would have hoped he would have improved since it's been a week since the flea bomb was set off.

She did sorta lead me to feel that if the antibotics don't help then he probably has permanent damage.

She didn't talk to me about the effects of flea bombs or what to expect, but I will ask. I told her we are only hearing this but we still can't be 100% sure but I'm pretty sure these people are not going to lie but the landlord could lie and say that he didn't know there were any pets in the place.

He's been doing pretty well with me although he bit me twice now and he actually broke the skin this morning and I didn't touch him I was just touching the blanket ot make sure it was still warm for him.

Thank you for asking these questions, I will write them down and ask the vet when I talk with him next.

Thank you,
    Melissa

Edit:

I just wrote down these questions that I will be asking the vet:

Could I get a written estimate of the stuff that still needs to be done to Milo?
    Is he getting any supplements in his food?
    Should I be feeding him any special food at the moment?
    Why doesn’t he want to drink any water?
    What is making him not have control over his bladder?
    Do you think these termers and his walking will go away with time?
    What are the side effects of a cat being exposed to a flea bomb and what should I look out for? (It has been a week since the flea bomb went off and he was exposed)
    What antibiotics is Milo on?
    What can we do for his eyes?
    Should I try to make him get up more and walk around more?
    Should I try to get him to drink water with a syringe?

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
    Thank you for the update; I'm very relieved and pleased at the good news about his temperature and blood results. Are they giving him supplements in his food to increase his iron intake, do you know? Has the vet said anything about his tremors and inability to walk and control his bladder? Does she think those symptoms might go away in time? Did she talk to you about the effects of flea bombs, what to expect, etc. or would she need to know what kind it was?

You did a very wonderful job caring for Milo overnight, helping to bring his temperature up, and all through this distressing time for him. Does he respond to you?
    Last edited by Anikaca77; 07-15-2009 at 03:09 PM.

It might be that he has bitten because his fear factor has been ramped up by the neurological damage. My CH cat, Miss Z., reacts way out of proportion to the slightest movement or sound. She also had a lot of difficulty drinking water for the first several months of her life, and even now she doesn't drink much. I've just made sure she always has wet food and she's fine. Does his head have involuntary movements, like bobbing, or does his head tremble? I used to wonder if Miss Z. was simply afraid of plunging her whole head into the water because she couldn't control its bobbing movements. You might make Milo panic if you try to syringe in water, that happened with Miss Z. Anyway, the vet will advise you.

Hopefully, his improved care will help his body heal and the fact that he is still so damaged is partly due to previous lack of care. However, I don't see a cat with this much damage healing a great deal, but it would help him find a home if he wasn't incontinent so we must keep hoping for improvement in that area and his movement. I'm just glad he's very much alive and in your care.

Could I get a written estimate of the stuff that still needs to be done to Milo?
    Yes

Is he getting any supplements in his food?

The vet said he’s just trying to get Milo to eat just anything at this point so no supplements at the moment.

Should I be feeding him any special food at the moment?

The vet said he’s just trying to get Milo to eat just anything at this point so no supplements at the moment.

Why doesn’t he want to drink any water?

The vet isn’t sure but we have to get him so fluids so he is doing Sub Q fluids on him for right now.

What is making him not have control over his bladder?

The vet said it’s neurological but from the Flea Bomb we really don’t know for sure.

Do you think these termers and his walking will go away with time?

Not sure, but the quality of life for this guy not being able to move around well, how good is it for Milo and we just have to wait and see at this point.

What can we do for his eyes?

Milo was given some eye meds today which I will be taking home with me when I pick him up at 5 p.m. today.

Should I try to get him to drink water with a syringe?

Yes

This is some things the vet said to me: There is very little change from yesterday to today, other than his temperature is good, his vitals are good, they got a urine sample from him today and everything looked normal, he’s really thin, no muscle, he has adnormalities with his walking and tail twitching, his rear end area is very sensitive but he’s sure Milo isn’t in any pain.

The vet is concerned about me getting attached to him and you have to think about the quality of life for him and what this might mean for him. He said obviously he hasn’t been eating well for a while now with him being so thin.

So I’ve decided to take it day to day and I asked him would it be ok to wait a week and see what happens and he said yes of course.

We just don’t have any prognosis yet though which sorta stinks but I guess we just have to wait and see.

My husband and I will be giving him lots of loving tonight.

I know someone in Texas who takes in severely disabled cats, including those who are incontinent and have serious mobility problems. She had one cat for years who could only move on his side, but he played, purred, and loved attention. As long as Milo is not in pain and gets pleasure out of his life, there is no need to end it as long as the right place can be found for him. People who see Surya, with his severely deformed front legs so he has to walk only on his back ones, and is almost blind, wonder about his quality of life but he has a ripe roaring good time. He's always in the middle of things and has a passion for biting other cats.

I'm sure Milo will enjoy his cuddles and attention. Enjoy him!

Good luck with all this! We had a rescue that was near dead. Vet said he didn't think she would live. We nursed and nursed and 11 years later she's still here! She ran a low grade fever forever. It was a long road but well worth it. I will watch for updates.
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

Poor Milo...I hope he shows some improvement soon. Bless his heart...Who knows what this poor sweetie has been through. I just hope that his problems are not a result of the flea bomb, as they may end up being permanent. There are certainly many, many prayers being said for him (and you), so hopefully there will be some good news soon...What a wonderful person you are to be doing so much for this kitty.Good luck, and please continue to keep us updated, and let us know if there is anything that we can do.

God bless,

Judy
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

Mahatma Gandhi