Thread: Eye issues (semi-update #14)

Eye issues (semi-update #14)

We have obnoxious bushes in the backyard that are out of control. They are bottle brush (not sure if that is the technical name). Zoee loves going into them because we think something lives in there. Well, she has developed red eyes. It was just in her blue eye first earlier this week. Now both eyes are red. Is there anything I can do here at home for her? Any human eye drops that would help?
    Bruce is supposed to cut these bushes down this weekend if he can get the chainsaw working we borrowed from my brother. So it's not going to be an on going problem. They don't appear to bother her at all, they just look bad. And sometimes they water and we wipe goop out of them.
    Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by Taz_Zoee; 06-05-2010 at 04:30 PM.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Perhaps Benadryl would help?

Benedryl is the only thing you should use. We were told to never use human meds for animals, it could cause serious effects and some are know to be fatal to dogs and cats. My vet told me I could use half and half witch hazel and glycerin for conjunctivitis. If the third eyelid is showing and red it could be that but in any case the witch hazel an glycerin is an eye soother for seed pods in eyes, etc.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

There are a lot of OTC human meds which can be used fine in pets, not just Benadryl.

Are you sure it is not conjunctivitis? If it is, a vet visit is needed.

I wouldn't give her anything- yet. I would call the vet and describe what you see, and then he/she may tell you what you can give her. I wouldn't risk putting anything in her eyes. Oh maybe she has something in her eye? Poor pretty girl!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

I think its just from the bushes. Because when she first comes in it is worse. And if she's in the house for a long time they seem to clear up and not be as red.
    I would have taken her to the vet if they kept producing gunk, but they aren't. So I'm thinking perhaps she did have something in the blue eye before, but now they just get irritated by the stuff outside.

Thanks for the ideas. I'm sure if I call my vet they will tell me to bring her in. I don't think it's that serious that she needs to go in just yet. Especially since he "should" be cutting those bushes out today (I hope!!). But of course if it gets worse I will definitely take her to the vet. It has been this way for about a week now and has not become bad enough to warrant a vet visit. I just know how my eyes feel when they are like that and thought I could help her. Even though she doesn't seem uncomfortable anyway.

Oh, about the third eyelid. I'm not sure what that means on a dog. I know I can see Paizly's if she is sick. But I've never seen that on a dog before. Sometimes Zoee's eye seems to be droopier (like a Basset's) and I can see the redness of the inner eye. But then it goes back to normal.

My sister worked at vets for years. Maybe I'll ask her and see what she thinks.

Thanks again!!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by snakemama View Post
    There are a lot of OTC human meds which can be used fine in pets, not just Benadryl.
    Yes there are but Ibuprofen is not one of them. And I would wait until my vet checked the eye before giving any human meds for it or anyhting else.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Taz...years ago casey got goop in her eye and I took her in they gave me drops and the vet said this is what your kids get for pink eye...I could have saved myself some money I had that at home....
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom View Post
    Taz...years ago casey got goop in her eye and I took her in they gave me drops and the vet said this is what your kids get for pink eye...I could have saved myself some money I had that at home....
    That's exactly what I thought it was at first....pink eye! I was going to make a thread here asking if dogs could get pink eye. But since hers is coming and going I'm thinking its not that afterall.

Like I said, I'm not giving her anything. I just thought is anyone else had a similar problem they might know what we could use. We'll just keep it clean and if it gets worse she'll go to the vet. Bruce said this morning it looks much better. That's because she's been in the house all night. Now she is outside. We'll see how it looks later. I really wish he'd get out there and cut those darn bushes out!!!

Pink eye is conjunctivitis. Yes, dogs, cats and humans all can get it, highly contagious from one eye to another, no matter which species.

Both Lacey and Sugar had it earlier this year. Lacey went in to the vet; with Sugar I had the meds still and just gave her the same; Clavamox for 1- days, eye drops twice per day for 2 weeks. The drops were Neo Poly Dex.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Pink eye is conjunctivitis. Yes, dogs, cats and humans all can get it, highly contagious from one eye to another, no matter which species.

Both Lacey and Sugar had it earlier this year. Lacey went in to the vet; with Sugar I had the meds still and just gave her the same; Clavamox for 1- days, eye drops twice per day for 2 weeks. The drops were Neo Poly Dex.
    Good to know, thank you.
    Since it's going away when she's indoors for long periods of time I'm thinking it's allergies. My SIL told me this morning her RB Boo had allergies and she thinks Abbie might have them too.

Huh, her eyes haven't been as bad this weekend. And the darn bushes are still there. He couldn't get the chainsaw to work.
    I wonder if it had anything to do with the rain. Because its all dried up now since its been nice for a few days.
    Oh well, hopefully she'll be okay until we can get the bushes out. Thanks everyone!

Semi-update

Well, now Taggart has the same problem. I talked to my sister this morning and she said conjunctivitis. So, since my vet charges an office visit per dog even if brought in at the same time, I will be taking one of them to the vet for meds and then administering the meds to both of them. Taggart is the lucky dog since he has better manners. Plus his eyes are worse than Zoee's today. But the appointment isn't until Tuesday evening. So if for some reason Zoee's appear worse then I'll just switch dogs.
    I wonder if this is something humans can contract. Because my eyes have been really bothering me lately. I don't allow them to get very gunky though because I'm constantly messing with them (which doesn't help either). But they are not sealed shut in the morning so I know it's not pink eye.
    I will update again Tuesday night.