Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat Litter

Cat Litter

Now I'm freaking out about cat litter. What is a good kind? I'm using my hamster bedding right now until we can get to the pet store. What is a good cat litter? Are there dangerous cat litters? What is best to reduce smell in a small area? I clean the litterbox several times a day. What is the best for not tracking it around? I've never had an inside only cat before.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

I've tried pretty much everything under the sun. I'm very sensitive to the scented litters and so are my cats so I have to use unscented litters. I've also found that the clumping litters are best because they remove all of urine. I've been using Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Clumping Litter for several years now and it clumps very hard and is pretty good with odor control too. You can buy it at Petsmart. Since my cats eat a high protein diet they do make very stinky stools so when it's fresh it does smell a bit so I always keep some Oust on hand to help clean the air. I also scoop 2 times a day.

Many people here love Fresh Step or Arm & Hammer. Yes, they clump well but they are just too heavily scented for my nose and my cat Sky is also very sensitive to this too. Just try a brand and see what works for you. Do you know what kind of litter your cat was using before? Good luck.

I use Tidy Cats. It's the least dusty that I've found. There are several varieties for different levels of odor control. I'm sure others here use some of the more eco-friendly type litters like Yesterday's News or the pine pellet kind.

I haven't had any luck with keeping them from tracking any brand of litter though. I've put mats and such in front of the boxes, but they just jump over them.

I've been using Feline Pine for years and love it. I have 5 cats and 3 LARGE, LONG Rubbermaid bins, instead of litterboxes. Much more cost effective and there's no silica dust that can affect my cats respiratory system. I've tried every single cat litter on the market and have always gone back to FP.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I use Tidy Cats. Target will have the 35 lb box on sale every 6 weeks or so. Way back when, my first kitty, Mr. Amber Cat, refused to use anything BUT Tidy Cats, and even though he's been gone 8 years I still stick with it.

I've used Fresh Step, Cats Pride and Special Kitty.

Special Kitty is my go to choice. Less dusty then all rest and comes in pretty good size boxes, price is good. It tracks but just couple steps from the litter box itself, which I can deal.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

Oh BTW, one kitty, one box, you should be able to scoop once every 24 hours with no problems for either smell or cleanliness for the cat.

Once you have her on a good food, she will have less "waste," too.

Hmm, Special Kitty is a clay litter, not a scoopable one? Not sure I would like that.

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom View Post
    I've been using Feline Pine for years and love it. I have 5 cats and 3 LARGE, LONG Rubbermaid bins, instead of litterboxes. Much more cost effective and there's no silica dust that can affect my cats respiratory system. I've tried every single cat litter on the market and have always gone back to FP.

Same here. for Feline Pine. As I am gone all day, the scoopable litter is not an option. Spunky also pees in a corner of box, so the clumps adhere to the plastic. Feline Pine is the way to go.

I have 4 litter boxes, 2 are very large, 1 with high back and one large box.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

We are using Green Kitty which was on at the Food Basics at 15.4 pounds for two dollars.
    It is 70 percent more bio degrable and we like that and it is a good litter too, and thatwas a great price. Sad to say it was a one time deal and I am not sure where I can find any more.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Thanks for all the great options. I'm really leaning toward the feline pine and clumping litters. I think her previous owner said she was using just clay litter. I was on catchannel.com last night and was reading that clay litters were bad for their respitory system. That's what got me all freaked out about the litter. I've always had primarily outside cats that would come in to visit sometimes. They hardly had to use a litter box. I never thought much of "what" the litter was made of.

I almost always have the box clean as soon as she gets done as my fiance and I have a very small place and her "gifts" smell up the place quite quickly. I'd like a flushable litter since her box is right by the toilet and i just scoop it drop it in the toilet and im done cleaning.

I switched to FP when my RB Mollie Rose was diagnosed with kitty asthma, kitty allergies. It helped alot.

Because my living space is so limited, it's alot easier than 1 litterbox per cat. 3 large bins equals 1 box per cat.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

If you want clumping litter my recommendation to you would be either Swheat Scoop or World's Best. These are natural, green cat litters. You can also flush them down the toilet which makes scooping litter simple if your pan is located in the bathroom. Swheat Scoop smells just like bread when your cats pee, since it's made out of wheat. Feline Pine also makes a scoopable formula as well which works very nice. All of these are a lot better on our environment than other litters as they are naturally biodegradable and don't harm our environment. They also form very solid waste nuggets that are easily scooped out of the box. They don't crumble etc.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

A litter that smells like bread...that's awesome! Now they need to make a litter that smells like fresh baked cookies when they poo.

I like Tidy Cats clay. I don't like the supermarket generic-- too dusty. I'd use Feline Pine or Yesterday's News regularly if I could afford it.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678