Thread: car sickness

car sickness

I suppose I should have posted BEFORE we made the two trips home for the holidays, but whatever.
    Abbey gets horribly carsick. On a 2 hour car ride, she threw up 4 times the last time, and once on the way back. This time, she threw up twice each time.
    What can I do to make it easier on her???

Hey lovemyshiba!

I have the carsickness problem with my 5 mo old Collie, Oz.
    I talked to the vet about it and he gave me some pills to give to
    Oz 30 mins before we get in the car. He said to give Oz the pills
    until he's about 1 year old and by then he should have outgrown
    it. The goal right now is to not have the carsickness
    become a habit. So the pill just relaxes him. It's working too.
    We recently went on a hour and half drive and he was fine.
    I also try not to feed Oz anything for about 4 hrs before we
    leave too.

Par...

Pills are allright & work most of the time but I personally think why medicate a dog if not really needed. You may be able to train her not to get car sick. Most of the time it is due to nerves. Gradually get her used to the car. Start off by just sitting in the car w/ her giving her treats whenever she acts calm. Do this often but keep it short. If possible do each step a few times a day for a few minutes each time for a few days in a row. Then after she succeeds w/ that step then just start the car but do not move. Again praise when she is calm. Then back to the end of the driveway. Then down the street, then around the block etc.... Also by bringing her to fun places will help, a short drive to the park for a nice romp! This ussually takes up to a month or 2. If she starts to get sick in the middle of the process then back up a step and start again from there. Be persisitant & patient. If it fails after a few months then consider meds! Good luck!
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

My Carly used to get sick just looking at a moving vehicle. She was the first dog we've ever had to get so sick.

We talked to the vet and he recommended putting her in the car and driving her to the end of the block and back once a day for several days. The next step was to drive her around the block once a day for several days. We increased the distance gradually and now don't open a car door without having a good hold on her leash. She loves riding in the car - in fact all we have to do is ask her if she wants to go "bye-bye in the car" and we get run over in her excitement.

Patience really paid off for us and I know it will for you.

car sickness

HI LOVEMYSHIBA,
    I AM NEW HERE TO THIS WHOLE CHAT THING.
    HERE I GO, I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY TWO DOGS. ONE IS A YEAR OLD AND THE OTHER IS THREE MONTHS. BOTH TRY TO RUN FROM THE TRUCK WHEN THEY SEE THE FAMILY GETTING IN. THEN MY OLDER DOG BEGINS TO DRUEL ALL OVER THE PLACE. HE DOESN`T STOP TILL WE GET HOME. WE HAVE TRIED THE TREATS BUT HE WON`T EAT IN THE CAR. MY PUPPY IS BEGINING TO DO THE SAME. I JUST THOUGHT I HAD WIERD DOGS.
    ALL MY OTHER DOGS USED TO LOVE TO GO FOR RIDES. NOW ONLY MY FERRET RELAXES IN THE CAR.
    I FEEL FOR YOU I REALLY DO.

I've heard giving the dog a Ginger Snap will help keep his tummy calm. (A friend used to do this... until her doggie got stolen )