View Poll Results: Do you let your cats climb the Christmas tree?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

21 77.78%
  • Rarely

0 0%
  • Sometimes

2 7.41%
  • Always

4 14.81%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Letting your cats climb the Chrishmas tree.

Letting your cats climb the Chrishmas tree.

I let my cats climb the Christmas tree . But sometimes the Christmas ornaments fall down and break . This time I am going to put glass Christmas ornaments in place where my cats can't reach. Any ideas to keep the Christmas ornaments from breaking?
    Alexander and his cat Oreo, Inkspot, Oliver, and Catfish. . Cats own you and you own your dogs.

Since I've had cats, I've never had a Christmas tree because I'm afraid that they would love to climb it and break the ornaments. If I did have a tree I wouldn't let them climb it.

Sherman has never even tried.

When I USED to have a Christmas tree indoors, the cats were NOT allowed in it. But it has been MANY, MANY years since I have put one up inside.

The last time I had a Christmas tree the cat I had climbed it; I have not had one for many years.
    My cats now have never seen a Christmas tree. I don't know if they would climb it or not.
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

Last year I had a fake Christmas tree. It was a very expensive tree. It costed us 200$ or so. The first year we had it Cubby loved it, the second year (last year) we had it, Cubby loved it so much he broke it. It was made out of alot of metal, we had all plastic orniments, and it was a pre-lite tree. He never chewed on the wires he just wanted to sleep in the tree and play with the orniments. I never knew a cat could bend metal the way he did. It was amazing. We couldn't even bend them back.

There was one time he got stuck in the tree, I had to try and get him out. I was so afraid I was going to end up breaking one of his back legs trying to get him out. After that happened I would spray him when he would get near it, but it got to a point when I would leave and come home he wouldn't come to greet me because his 'tree' was more important than me

Katie
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I have a few more pictures of him too.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Letting your cats climb the Chrishmas tree.

Originally posted by Alexander
    I let my cats climb the Christmas tree . But sometimes the Christmas ornaments fall down and break . This time I am going to put glass Christmas ornaments in place where my cats can't reach. Any ideas to keep the Christmas ornaments from breaking?
    Yup! Don't hang the glass ornaments on the tree! Hang them from a garland stretched over a mantle, windowframe or doorway, or stack them in a pretty glass bowl as a centerpiece (in a cabinet if your cats patrol the table when you're out) ...

No matter how far up on the tree you place them, if they tip the whole tree over, some WILL break!

I voted "never" because our tree is miniture table top thats the size of a small lamp. Butterscotch and Thumper don't bother xmas decorations. Hum.... Skinny will make decorations a challenge
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

I have a sneaky cat that always waited till night time to climb the tree. Every morning I get up and there was the tree leaning on the wall. Every morning I set it back up, only to wake up the next morning to a leaning tree again. So now the tree goes in a corner of the room tied to a nail in the wall...to hold it up just in case the midnight tree attacker strikes again.

My only problem now is my dog, Tuffy. We can't leave him alone with the tree anymore. If we do he hikes his leg and marks that tree as his.
    Last edited by Fox-Gal; 10-12-2003 at 10:17 PM.

I am really tossing up whether to put my xmas tree up this year, as we have the rather delightful , playful young lexie this year, who loves anything that dangles.

My RB Sooti also took quite a liking to it the year before, but he was not too bad, Ash never even looks at it really.

So the place may look a little bare this year.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!

Re: Letting your cats climb the Chrishmas tree.

Originally posted by Alexander
    Any ideas to keep the Christmas ornaments from breaking?
    I keep mine in the box . Seriously, I had a Christmas tree the first few Xmases I had my RB Goldie. The first year she broke 21 antique ornaments; the next year she broke I don't remember how many Walgreens ornaments and I had to upright the tree I don't know how many times - she kept climbing on it and knocking it down. The only solution that worked: Not putting up a tree. instead I go hog-wild with cat-safe decorations all over the house. It's so much more fun as I can start decorating slowly at the end of November; by Xmas my place looks like a cat-friendly Santa's village. Remember tinsel can be dangerous if our little furred ones swallow it.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Tree + Abysinnian = Expensive trips to casualty ward
    "A cat cannot see directly under its nose. This is why the cat cannot seem to find tidbits on the floor."

We always let Maggie climb the christmas tree, but never outside kind.

Emily never expressed any interest in the Christmas tree (except as a place to sleep under). But boy Tanner sure loved it!!! He was only 12 weeks old last Christmas and he managed to knock over my tree (the night before I was going to take it down). He only broke a couple of ornaments. But I think this year I may have to pass on a tree and maybe go for something else...