Thread: Penny Lane Update

Penny Lane Update

It has been a while since I posted about Penny Lane's "issues", so I thought I would give everyone an update. Any one that wants to see the entire background of Penny Lane can see it here

Penny continues to get more confident every day. The Prozac has help alleviate her anxiety. We rarely see her ears lay back anymore, usually they are up and alert. She is still pretty much of a velcro dog - but she is starting to spend a little time in a different room than me. As some of you know, that is a big step.

Her and Leo still get into occasional squabbles, so I continue to keep them separated when I am not watching.

I am starting to let her and Leo play together in the back yard a little, but I keep a real close eye and call her away if I feel it gets even a little bit rough.

She is starting to accept strangers a little - but I make them crouch down facing away from her with a treat in their hands. She will eventually come over and take the treat, then let them pet her.

Her increased confidence has brought out some behavioural issues we are working on. She is starting to charge the door, so we are working on wait. She is starting to jump on me with excitement when I come home, so we are working on polite greeting. She has also become a little pushy in asking for attention, so I am trying to ignore her when she pushes for attention and only give her attention when she is in a sit or down. She is also starting to jump on the bed without permission, so we are working on that.

She is totally housebroken, but she still occasionally has stress related accidents. Bad thunderstorms for example will cause her to have a small accident. I am continuing with the Rescue Remedy in her drinking water.

She is playing more with toys. She wants to play with Leo so bad with the toys (tug), but I am still leary of letting them get into any competitive play so I only allow them toys when they are seperated. She does enjoy playing with a stuffie and a treat filled kong is always a great treat.

She still shakes when she feel vulnerable, but it is definitely better. I'm sure that will disappear with time.

It is very nice to see the improvement. Every day she seems to get a little better. We are going to keep up with the drug therapy for a few more months and then revisit the issue with the vet. If I forget her pill, you can see the difference in her anxiety level, so it might be a long term thing.

Well that's about it. Sorry it is so long, just wanted to let everyone know how we are doing.

So glad to hear that Penny Lane is making much improvements. She sounds like she has come a long way. You sound like you are doing an excellent job! You must be a very kind and pateint person. Keep up the great work and keep us posted.

Robin

What progress!

It sounds like she's doing so much better thanks to all your hard work and patience (and the drugs). Thank you for updating us
    Give her a big hug from me!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Oh Clara I am so happy to read this!!!
    It sounds like Penny Lane really has come so far--all thanks to your patience and love and understanding.
    You knew in your heart she was a great dog, and I commend you for never faltering in that belief!
    It does sound like every day is getting better--it must be so exciting to wake up and wonder what marvelous thing Miss Penny Lane is going to do today!!!

Many hugs and kisses to Penny and Leo!!!!
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

Thanks all - it has at times been very frustrating but it has also been facinating. I never realized before the subtleties of dog personality. I think Penny Lane is the special one. Imagine going through so much pain and loneliness and still having the ability to love and trust. The resilency of dogs always amazes me.

Thanks so much for updating on Penny Lane & Leo. I'm glad
    the medicine has helped Penny. I actually used your link to go
    back to the July posts on the problems. It's been a long road
    for you all, but it's good to see some positive results. I think
    you deserve to be congratulated for hanging in there & doing
    everything possible to help Penny Lane & Leo. Congrats.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt