Thread: Do they really make pets sick?

Do they really make pets sick?

Do the Cicada's really make pets sick if they eat them? Are they all over and around your house?

They don't come to Massachusetts, thankfully. From what I've seen on news reports, though, they can make pets sick. It's not that the cicadas themselves are harmful, it's just that there are so darned many of them that, like a kid given free reign in a candy store, pets can just keep eating and eating and eating them until they make themselves sick. All that crunchy chewy goodness ...

and their digestive systems just aren't meant to handle that much insect matter at once!

Originally posted by Karen
    They don't come to Massachusetts, thankfully. From what I've seen on news reports, though, they can make pets sick. It's not that the cicadas themselves are harmful, it's just that there are so darned many of them that, like a kid given free reign in a candy store, pets can just keep eating and eating and eating them until they make themselves sick. All that crunchy chewy goodness ...

and their digestive systems just aren't meant to handle that much insect matter at once!
    Wow you are lucky! We have a lot here in Kentucky!

I've never seen a cicada, I don't even really know what they are. Obviously, they don't live here. Once every few years we have a huge outbreak of moths, aka miller bugs. My dogs eats zillions of them.

All that crunchy chewy goodness ... that much insect matter at once
    I could have gone all week without that visual, thanks so much!
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I think it's like Karen says, they just eat too many. There was a guy, I think in Indiana, who got a recipe to cook cicadas (don't remember if they were fried or grilled or baked or whatever) but he cooked some up and ate too many and made himself sick. So I don't think they're like a rat that carries disease or anything like that, they must just be good eatin'! yeah, sure, Debbie, good eatin' uh huh, yep, that's what it is...EEEEEWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Debbie, that is like Ewwwwwe!!

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

Ok you guys, you are making my tummy roll.....YUCK!...hehehe

Robin

Gosh, I haven't thought about those bugs in a looong time. We used to have them outside my grandmom's house. They'd leave their shells behind on her pine tree... and I was fascinated by them. I haven't seen or heard one since! I wonder if they left the region?

I live in NJ and have yet to see or hear one. But I am sure soon enough I will.

How could anyone or thing eat those ugly bugs????

Join Sweet Pea at The Bunny Forum
    Come join me and FizzGigg at The Bichon Lovers Clubhouse
    Thank You Anita & Kay for the wonderful Siggys

Living in Cincinnati, the primo spot ( I think) for Cicadas...the answer is YES...if the dogs eat too many of them. I was just talking to a vet on Sunday about this. Don't let them eat them, and be glad we are living in this madness for **only** 6 weeks!

Originally posted by catnapper
    Gosh, I haven't thought about those bugs in a looong time. We used to have them outside my grandmom's house. They'd leave their shells behind on her pine tree... and I was fascinated by them. I haven't seen or heard one since! I wonder if they left the region?
    Well people say they come out every 17 years!