Thread: Off to do our duty

Off to do our duty

Its already Wednesday night! We are headed over to the nursing home where Pouncer has a permanent appearance every Wednesday night from now til ???

I'm a bit nervous because it'll be a bit different than last time. We went to activities rooms the last time and showed him to large groups. Those who wanted to hold him could, and then we visited a few rooms of people they knew were cat lovers. tonight, we will be doing private rooms only. A little one-on-one Pouncer loving!

My daughter is also going tonight because she volunteered there as a candy striper last summer and they requested to see her again (but she hopes to not see the old man who kept pinching her behind!!!)

Well, Pouncer's all ready to go and has managed to freak himself out while wearing the harness.... you should have seen him zoom - zoom -zoom around the room all freaked out.

We're back.. and I can only say that it was a HUGE disappointment. The majority of the residents were getting ready for bed - or already asleep. I felt odd and uncomforatble knocking on doors or peeking in to see who would like to see Pouncer. He was FREAKED out by the huge thunder storm going on at the time. I've never seen him upset at storms, but he really scared himself when I put the harness and leash on him in the room. He scared himself when a big lighting strike hit... he went to hide, and the leash followed him. He jumped so high in fear and bounced off walls and furniture like a pinball.

Anyway, it was such a disappointment. It was much better in the afternoon when people were in the lounges and hallways. I felt like such a voyer. My daughter decided to be shy and didn't talk to anyone and quite a few people tried to talk to her. Oh well.

I only got one good picture from tonight. Once again, I'm editing the face to protect privacy.

You can see my daughter in the background playing with her hair.

I'll have to talk to the activities director about switching out visits to afternoons.

Aw, yuck, I'm sorry to hear it didn't go so well. I'm just in awe that Pouncer is social enough to visit strangers. My guys would be hidden in fear the whole time.

Your daughter is so cute.
    Angela's beautiful furbabies, Wilber and Oreo.

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." Anonymous

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." Albert Schweitzer

A meow massages the heart. Stuart McMillan

Oh Kim, I'm sorry tonight was disappointing... but there will be better days ahead. What you are doing is absolutely wonderful, and from the look on that man's face in the picture, your night was a complete success!!!!

(((HUGS)))

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Originally posted by kimlovescats
    Oh Kim, I'm sorry tonight was disappointing... but there will be better days ahead. What you are doing is absolutely wonderful, and from the look on that man's face in the picture, your night was a complete success!!!!

(((HUGS)))
    I agree! There's an old Emerson poem that I love and refer to often in times like this:

"To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent
    people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation
    of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to
    appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the
    world a little better; whether by a healthy child, a garden
    patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one
    life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is the meaning of success."

-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

The face on that man looks like you helped him breathe easier - you're a success today.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Originally posted by RedHedd
    I agree! There's an old Emerson poem that I love and refer to often in times like this:

"To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent
    people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation
    of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to
    appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the
    world a little better; whether by a healthy child, a garden
    patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one
    life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is the meaning of success."

-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

The face on that man looks like you helped him breathe easier - you're a success today.
    RedHedd that is a beautiful poem. I had never heard that one before, thanks for sharing. You are right, I think Kim and Pouncer did make life a little nicer for that man.

Kim, I think it's great you are making this effort. More scritchies and praises for Pouncer.

From Decker with Love

Don't be too dissapointed - this is all still so new to you and Pouncer! I agree that switching to afternoons may be better!

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

I'm sorry it was a disappointment and I hope your hours do get switched so you can have more fun and see more people. How calm Pouncer looks just sitting in that man's arms.. he must be a really great kitty. Poor Pouncer, being all scared from the lightning.. well at least it's over now. Does he seem upset at you? heh.

I hope Pouncer got a good night's sleep and is back to his old self today.

I'm sorry last night was a disappointment for you. I would not have felt very comfortable either, knocking on doors at a time when people were likely to be gong to bed. You and Pouncer still made a difference last night though. The man holding Pouncer doesn't think it was a disappointing night. He looks happy. I'm sure it will get easier once you get to know some people, and once they get to know you will come on Wednesdays. Before long, the Pouncer lovers will probably be queueing by the front door waiting for him.

Good luck for next week.

OH I'm sorry that it was disappointing. I'm amazed that a freaked out Puncer is being so good sitting in the lap of a very happy man! That poor gentleman would be bleeding if it was one of mine!
    I think your right about going in the afternoons when people are up and about. I think you have to agree that the night wasn't a waste by the look on that mans face. Sometimes instead of helping many you may only help one but to that one it couldn't have been more important.
    Great job by you and by Pouncer!! I'm so impressed with such a wonderful and good natured kitty!

Thank you everyone! RedHedd, that was a beautiful poem. You are all right that I am looking at it frm the wrong perspective. I DID make a difference in a few people last night. They went to bed happier because they got to hold Pouncer. And he was a good boy despite being very upset and scared.

I still think that I'll try to get earlier appointments just because it was creepy walking down lonely empty hallways and peeking into doors.

I have tried to see , if anyone was interested in Moose ,The magnificent , but I would have to provide , my owh transit ,and Moose , does not care , for the Bus!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

You know, if sometimes WEREN'T disappointing, you wouldn't have any times to say, Pouncer was a HERO! So, relax, one lackluster evening does not a failure make.