Thread: Grooming

Grooming

Bailey has to "groom" me every morning. She doesn't sleep with me, so if I sleep for what she considers to be too long, she'll bark to come in so she can begin the grooming process. She'll carefully lick both of my hands, turning them over when she's done with one side. Then, if she thinks it's necessary, she'll stand on me and lick my face until she's convinced that it's clean.

When she's finished she lays down and goes to sleep. She doesn't do it to anyone else but me.

Does it mean anything? Does anyone else have dogs that do this?

Re: Grooming

That is so cute. I love it!
    Neither of my dogs do that, but Rocky
    every morning around 6:00 a.m. will jump
    on my bed, breath on my face and wait
    for pets.
    He doesn't groom me and he is a clutz.

----<---<--<{(@

He's a cute clutz.

I just wish I knew why she does it. I'm probably reading too much into it, but she's always seemed to have a strong maternal instinct, so I was thinking she was doing it to kind of take care of me.

She's probably doing it because I'm dirty.

I am sure their is a reason why she does it.
    I just have no idea. lol
    Maybe it is another way
    of her to show affection by taking care of you?
    Either way it is very cute what she does.

----<---<--<{(@

Grooming

Hi,
    That is so funny!!! I laughed reading it!!. I have a Chihuahua 5 1/2 mos. After I wash my face and brush my teeth, I get into bed. My Chi sleeps in my bed. Anyway, she licks my face and will not stop, even my lips and ears. I think she likes the taste/smell of the products I use. That might be your situation to.
    SMB

It probably is. I flattered myself into thinking she actually wanted to take care of me, I guess.

lol Ripley we refere to as "Mr. Mom" (I want that song burnt onto a CD lol) he is very carefull to bath both us, and Misty-his baby lol Ripley came with us to meet the pups when they were 4 weeks old, and misty came over to Ripley and tried to suckle from his well you know lol they were just weaned at the time. Ripley has always acted as mom to Misty, Misty does not always like that lol but Ripley does not always give her a say in the matter he does not always give me or my mom a say in the matter either.. lol
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

My Jessie has to give me 'kisses' every night before we all lay down to sleep. OK - the bed is crowded - Me - two cocker spaniels and my Sig. Other.....I even bought a bigger bed because I rolled over one morning and landed on the largest part of my anatomy - and Jessie was the only one who jumped down - gave kisses and made sure that I was alright! He doesn't kiss Jeff much - just me. So - I don't know why Bailey 'grooms' you every morning....but I bet it does have something to do with taking care of you - Animals groom to show affection.....so you know you are well loved!

Raustyk loves to groom my feet, but usually only after I have been in shocks & shoes the whole day. I don't mind cause I love my feet tickled. (did I just admit that I like my dog to lick me feet?)
    She's a very kissy dog.

Nanook used to groom my hands all the time, and occasionally groom my arms, feet & legs but the past few years he hardly ever does.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Originally posted by snappy
    My Jessie has to give me 'kisses' every night before we all lay down to sleep. OK - the bed is crowded - Me - two cocker spaniels and my Sig. Other.....I even bought a bigger bed because I rolled over one morning and landed on the largest part of my anatomy - and Jessie was the only one who jumped down - gave kisses and made sure that I was alright!

That's funny!

You have Cockers, too? Have you posted any pics of them? We'd love to see them!

Maybe you taste good,,

When I'm home, Lady lets me know when it's time to go to bed. She comes over and starts giving me a bath, then walks over to the stairs and lays there looking at me. In the morning, she also acts as my alarm clock. When she thinks it's time for me to get up, she jumps up onto the bed, barks once and starts mouthing my hands (Come on dad, get up, it's time to PLAY!!!!!)

Originally posted by LorraineO
    Maybe you taste good,,
    There's something I never considered.

I'd hate to think how it would be to a dog barking on my bed. I'd probably have heart failure.