Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I have to rehome Ron and Raven...

I have to rehome Ron and Raven...

I feel so devastated right now that it is hard for me to type this.

As most of you know, my son is allergic to cats and has bad asthma. We found this out two years ago and the doctor advised me to get rid of the animals. Of course, I asked her if there was anything else that I could do before rehoming them. So, we've got hepafilters set up through the house, kept the cats out of his room, etc...He's been taking 2 inhalers and three pills a day plus an allergy shot in each arm weekly for the past two years.

He still cannot breathe. He cries to me that he's sad because he can't run with his friends and he has a tough time in soccer. The kids tease him because he's always coughing and he can't keep up.

I layed in bed last night in tears, listening to him cough all night long. I saw the respritory therapist again today, and she wants to put him back on prednisone. This is the third time he's been on it this month. As some of you know, prednisone is a dangerous drug. On top of that, she added a third inhaler and one more pill to his daily regimine. She's also upped his breathing machine treatments to 4-6 times a day. I broke into tears in the office today, telling her that my heart hurts for my son. I am so tired of him being sick all the time.

Once again, she told me I have to get rid of the cats. She doesn't think it will solve everything, but that it will relieve a great deal of his problems. When they did the allergy test, that was the biggest allergy that he had.

My heart aches so bad. On one hand, I feel like such a horrible horrible mother for letting my son suffer so that I can have my animals. On the other hand, I hurt so bad for Ron and Raven. I love them so much. I can't imagine them anywhere else but here. To top it all off, Jaden won't stop crying. He is so upset about rehoming them. He understands that it has to be done though.

I have to do this for Jaden. I am praying that someone from Pet Talk will take them. I really want them to stay in the PT family. I know all of you so well and I trust all of you. I know that each and every one of you are good and responsible pet owners. And more for Jaden then myself, I know that I would get pictures and updates.

They need to be inside only cats. I am not sure if they have to stay together. They never really liked eachother much, so I think they'd be ok apart. The only thing that I am thinking is that maybe if they get rehomed together they will be a little less confused. I am willing to transport anywhere.

I have to go out of town tomorrow morning for my grandfather's funeral. I will not be back until Monday, but I will try to check this.

Please help me. This hurts so bad. I haven't hurt like this in a long time. I can't even look at them. I feel so horrible.

Thank you Wolfie!

Oh, I am SOOOO sorry. I would be devastated also...All I can say is I believe you are doing the right thing...you don't want your son to be miserable, but it would be so hard. {{{HUGS}}}

Oh Tonya, I feel so sad for you and your son both. I completely understand your decision, and in light of your son's health, I really feel it is in his best interest. I know you feel like a bad cat meowmmy ... but please don't .... you are a human mommy first! I know everyone here at PT will stand behind you on this, and will understand that you have tried longer than you probably needed to, to keep your furbabies. Your son needs to be healthy, and that is the bottom line here. You know I would help any way I can, but I'm sure you feel Tennessee is a bit far to commute from California! Surely, someone here on PT can help out somehow! Please try not to feel guilty, and keep your faith!

(((HUGS)))
    Kim
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Oh Tonya, I can only imagine how you must feel right now.
    Of course your sons health comes first.
    I hope and pray that someone from PT will be able to take Ron or Raven or both for that matter so that it will make the parting a little easier for you.
    My heart goes out to you. (((((HUGS)))))

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Thank you. I will wait until everyone reads this. It'd be beautiful if I found them a PT home in California. But if I do not, any where in the US is fine to me. It is really important to me that they get a good home. The only thing that will help me is if they stay in a PT home. Money isn't an issue for me. I will take them anywhere.

Thank you Wolfie!

Oh Tonya, I'm so sorry... {{hugs}} It must be very devastating for you and Jaden.

I'm sorry we can't take them in, as we're pretty much at our animal limit right now. I really, really hope someone can take them in, and provide a good home for both of them.. I'll be thinking of both of you, and Ron and Raven.

Oh Tonya, I am so sorry.

That you have to rehome Ron and Raven. Your poor son, how he must feel also. Please DO NOT feel guilty, as others have said, you are doing what you must, and Jadan comes FIRST. Although I can not have anymore pets, if you need anything else, just feel free to ask. I will do what I can to help you. I am so sorry again.

Thank you so much Michelle!

Please be responsible, spay and neuter your pets!

I've been BOO'd!!! Thanks Lori!

Oh Tonya, I am so sorry! {{{HUGS}}} I know this has been tugging at your heart for a long while. Please know that nobody will think you are a bad cat mom for doing this. You tried everything you could, and that is all we can do in a siruation like this.

How terrible Maybe before just giving them up you could try taking them to a "animal hotel" for like a week to see if it really does help your son. if not... my mom told me couple days ago I could have a cat if I'm permanently hired at my new job. I'd love to help ya but I wont have a clear answer until next week or at latest next month

also, I think I remember a tv show talking about hairless cats for those with allergys - worth a try??

Originally posted by LKPike
    How terrible Maybe before just giving them up you could try taking them to a "animal hotel" for like a week to see if it really does help your son. if not... my mom told me couple days ago I could have a cat if I'm permanently hired at my new job. I'd love to help ya but I wont have a clear answer until next week or at latest next month

also, I think I remember a tv show talking about hairless cats for those with allergys - worth a try??
    When we first found out about my son's allergies, I sent him to my parents (who are cat free) for a week. The cats are a causing factor to his symptoms. I can't beat around the bush anymore. I just have to accept it and do what I have to do.

Thank you Wolfie!

Sorry to read this about the furry kids. You need to do what is in best interest of your sons health. The dogs dont bother him?
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

First concern is your son. I have to ask, is there anyone you are close to close by that could take them so you and your son could see them (from a distance, of coarse).. Maybe if they could be out of the house but not out of your lives????

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Originally posted by Craftlady
    Sorry to read this about the furry kids. You need to do what is in best interest of your sons health. The dogs dont bother him?
    He is also allergic to dogs. According to the test, the allergy is only slight though. He doesn't cough, get short of breath, or itchy when he is around the dogs like he does the cats. I'd originally made my dogs outside only after his allergy test. But over time, I realized he didn't have a reaction to them, so I allowed them back in. They aren't allowed in his bedroom or on the furniture and they're really good at obeying that rule.

Thank you Wolfie!

Originally posted by Laura's Babies
    First concern is your son. I have to ask, is there anyone you are close to close by that could take them so you and your son could see them (from a distance, of coarse).. Maybe if they could be out of the house but not out of your lives????
    That would be ideal. Unfortunatly, my mom and my dad are allergic to cats. One brother loves cats but he has waaaay to many animals and a baby on the way. I have a friend who said he'd take them, but he moves all the time. He's had 6-7 homes in the past two years. Right now, he's living with his parents. I'm afraid that the cats would wind up getting rehomed again since his life isn't stable. No one else that I know really likes cats.

Thank you Wolfie!

Tonya, I PM'ed you...