Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harzer Fuchs

Harzer Fuchs

Harzer Fuchs ~

I just came across this stunning breed. Apparently, they are very similar to the Border Collie in personality. They have a high drive to work and are extremely intelligent. They are a German breed that is used to herd and guard livestock. They vary in size from 18 - 45kg (which is about 39 - 99lbs), but I think most of them range in the 40 - 50lb range. Unfortunately, this wonderful breed is near extinction..
    I would love to have one someday. They're supposed to be EXCELLENT for agility and other kinds of dog sports.

Anyways, onto some pics of this gorgeous breed!

Wow! How pretty. You can see the intensity in the eyes of the dog in the 4th picture. The colour is nice too!
    Winterbell Hamstery
    Breeding quality Syrian hamsters in Virginia
    http://wwwfreewebs.com/jynxedhamstery

GORGOES dogs!! I didnt know about that breed! Thanx for sharing Di I would love to have dog like that some day

Liga(me),Carreras(gordon setter),Simba(the cat),Felix(bun),Aisha & Nila(ratties),Ellie(guinea piggy)

Wow, the last two look alot like border collies. You can see the herding instinct in their eyes.
    I've been BOO'd!

wow, I showed them to my mom and she looked then up on the internet, but every website we found was in german, and the translation was "the Harzer fox, is one of the original hat dogs" lol the translations were rather uselss, and while I now German, I dont know it THAT well lol all the websits that were english, the info was "we have no info on this breed, if you would like to contribute..." lol
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

6. They are gorgeous, aren't they...I love them! If you look on Google and go to images and type in the name then you will find gorgeous pictures and if you click "original posting" I think... then you can find info! I saw some of the same pictures!

Originally posted by cali
    wow, I showed them to my mom and she looked then up on the internet, but every website we found was in german, and the translation was "the Harzer fox, is one of the original hat dogs" lol the translations were rather uselss, and while I now German, I dont know it THAT well lol all the websits that were english, the info was "we have no info on this breed, if you would like to contribute..." lol
    Yeah, I know... I had to use freetranslation.com to copy/paste and translate paragraphs... but it helped!

Is this an AKC breed? They are beautiful, never heard of them!

9. No..it isn't recognied...LOL!

How do you pronounce it!

Originally posted by SunKissedGoldens
    Is this an AKC breed? They are beautiful, never heard of them!
    Nooo.. LOL not AKC at all... They're a rare breed in Germany.

I'm not sure how it's pronounced... My best guess is:
    Har-zehr Fooks (Fox with an 'oo' sound)

11. Awww! they even look kinda like Border Collies in a way.

the puppy almost looks like a shepherd!

What a gorgeous breed!!! Thanks for sharing it with us, Di

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

Looks like one of the 7 belgian shepherd breeds, only three of which are recognized by the akc( who don't recognize squat). I don't even have it in my breed encyclopedia, and it has over 1000 breeds. New breeds only take 20 generations, or approx. 10 years to invent. I wouldn't blame breeders for not wanting people from the US to have one as we tend to ruin breeds though. It also looks somewhat like the small greek shepherd. I don't even see them on dogbreedinfo.com.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

what a gorgeous dog! They remind me of a Border collie.