Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The dreaded letter came...

The dreaded letter came...

The one where I am now officially summoned to serve JURY DUTY! ACCCCCKKKKKKK!

With my luck, I'll be serving on some long boring case. Or I'll be the lone stand-out person who thinks someone is guilty while everyone else thinks they're innocent. Oh well, I think I'd get paid $5 for the day!

OH, crappy! BTW: how do you get selected for jury duty? Do they just draw your name out of a hat? I've never been called, and I'm 23, so I was just wondering what the chances I'll be drawn are!

Shoot! My parents, aunts, uncles, they have all went and sorry to say didn't like it. Who could. Just keep thinking about $5 that you are making. Sure it's not much, but you will be 5 dollars richer.

"Today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday." - unknown author

As far as I know, Jury duty is essentially a lottery type thing - your name and info is in the big computer at the courthouse and at some point the computer selects you. I last served Jury Duty a good 7 or 8 years ago. Haven't gotten a summons since. I went, spent many long boring hours on uncomfortable folding chairs waiting to be called into the court room. The call never came so we were sent home at 3:30. BORING!

If I did get chosen as a Juror, I'll take my job seriously, but I'll be upset I got chosen! I love to watch court cases on TV as presented in Law & Order... NOT the real version!

i'd love to be called

i'm hoping that i get the summons for jury duty some time. i can't serve in the military (too old) , but i can serve by doing this. maybe someday huh? congrats catnapper
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

Originally posted by Kristl
    OH, crappy! BTW: how do you get selected for jury duty? Do they just draw your name out of a hat? I've never been called, and I'm 23, so I was just wondering what the chances I'll be drawn are!
    I've been called twice and served on a jury once. They told us that they get your name from driver's license, voter registration, and owning property in my county.

Hope it's nothing too long for you Kim. Is it criminal or civil court? I've been called once for each and served on a civil case where someone was suing a major company for asbestos poisoning. He didn't win, he wasn't even sick but was afraid he would be after working in it. His lawyers seemed like big ambulance chasers. It took a whole week to complete. On the crimal case it was mass murder at a fast food restaurant in Nashville and they had to come here to Knoxville to find jurors. I was excused because I had letters from my mom's doctors saying I could not be sequestered 150 miles a way for up to a month since I took care of her. Thank goodness. Oh yeah, I got paid $11 a day back in 1995.

From Decker with Love

Its for BOTH Civil and Criminal cases. I'm also #130 on the list... which means my chances of actually going in is high. Last time I was in the 200s.

atleast you get payed Hope you enjoy it
    Last edited by sammy101; 02-27-2005 at 09:17 PM.

I have been called for jury duty 4 or 5 times, I lose track. I am always excited to go, and be a participant in Justice. I have never yet been on a jury. I actually got to sit in the jury chair once for about 30 seconds. They threw me off right after they threw off the guy in the leather jacket and chains. I don't know why they dumped him, but the case was very similar to the only thing a family member has ever been involved in (someone I love was the victim of armed robbery). I was so dissapointed.

Someday, I will be a juror. I will!

Sitting waiting to (not) be called as a juror, I have met interesting people - my first time, I met an old woman (my guess, 80-something) who had lived in Boston her whole life, gave me restaurant recommendations, and was a very pleasant person.

Another time I met a blind woman and her guide dog. After we conversed for a while, she took off his harness, so he'd know he wasn't working (so I could pet him), and he promptly came over to where I was sitting on the floor, and sat in my lap. I told his owner with amusement that my navy-blue skirt was now liberally sprinkled with blond Lab-hairs, and she smiled. He was her second guide dog - when she had a black Lab, her wardrobe consisted mostly of grey and black clothes, now that she had a yellow Lab, she said her wardrobe was mostly khaki and cream-colored clothes!

Someday I'll be a juror!

I'm very jealous. I would love to serve on a jury, but have never been called. I have always been interested in the justice system, and love following different trials in the news. I also enjoy several movies that based around trials (12 Angry Men).

Don't look at it as if it was a negative thing, but as a positive that you could actually make a difference in someone's life.

I'd also like to be on jury duty. I'm 36, have been a registered voter since I was 18, and have never been called. I think it would be a fascinating thing to do once. I look at it as one of the great privledges and responsibilities of living in this country ... that we are afforded a trial by a jury of our peers.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I got MY letter last week too Kim. It is for the late in March and is for "petit" jury (as opposed to a Grand jury) at the county court. I was called once before - municipal court - and sat all morning waiting to begin and they finally got the young guy to plead. It would have been a hoot I think - because the magistrate came in and explained the case that that young man was fighting all morning. He was stopped for speeding and then got an additional open alcohol charge. His defense?? He saw a police car and it scared him so he accidentally sped up. Then he got even MORE nervous, so he opened a beer and drank it THAT one I wish I could have heard.

I do hope I get to sit in on a jury this time

Our system absolutely would not work without the sacrifice of people like YOU to serve. I would love to be on a jury..sadly, it won't happen. Apparently, I would make the worst kind of juror...one that thinks she knows the law. He he he.

For us here, jury selection is from voter registration....so, if you aren't a registered voter, you can't sit...

Well not me! I have been summoned twice since living in Texas and gotten out of it both times by filling out their questionaire and when it asks what type books/magazines do you read I put NATIONAL ENQUIRER and TRUE CRIME Religiously!!....that is enough to knock you out..if you go here..its WAY downtown in Houston..which I hate to drive..traffic is horrid...2 tolls..then there is parking...you pay...and you walk....and its all day...and $5 just doesn't quite cover it..
    Now when I was in ARkansas...sure thing...glad to go...but never got picked...or if it was Pasadena...I would go in a heartbeat...just back streets to get there...but to be picked to go to Houston for an all stressed out pulling your hair traffic kinda day...NOPE...

15. $5.00.. you send that 'big wad of money' they give you right in your gas tank just getting there and going back home.

my mom had to do that once. but it got cancled for some reason. either the case was moved to another state or something stupid.. but whatever it was,, my mom was glad about it.