Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What state is the best to live in?

What state is the best to live in?

Out of all 50 US states which one is the best to live in? My husband and I are wanting to move out of Oklahoma and start some where fresh. I posted in cats, since that is where I spend most of my time. Anyway, we are wanting to move to a place where the weather is more stable, (not cold) safe for raising children, and a great state to live in. We own a home business so work is not a problem for us. So can you guys help us figure out where to move to. What state do you live in and why do you love it so much?

Annie

Ohio really is a decent place to live...the weather is generally moderate, with the only serious threats being tornados or blizzards and both are rare. You do get more snow in the Cleveland area (lake effect), but otherwise winters aren't usually too harsh.
    The northern part of the state is pretty flat, but there are some gorgeous areas along the lake. The southern part of the state has more hills, and some gorgeous state parks. There are plenty of "big cities" Cincinnati, Columbus, and Cleveland, and lots of nicer mid-sized and smaller towns too. We've got Cedar Point, Kings Island, and the Pro Football Hall of Fame, the Reds, the Bengals, the Indians, the Browns, the Cavs and a pro-hockey team in Columbus. There's the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, some great Art Muesems, and well known Universities.

And...there are LOTS of PTers in Ohio (and the surrounding area)

I agree with Cincy'smom that Ohio is a really great place to live. Of course I live in Ohio so I would obviously say it's a great place to live! I agree with what Cincy'smom said 100%!!

Abby

"Today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday." - unknown author

i'm not so happy with ohio

i've lived here for almost 17 years now, and in my opinion, the nickname "mississippi of the north" (sorry to anyone from mississippi) is coming to truth. the legislatures in ohio have been very sucessful in not fixing the educational structure in this state. the legislature has been directed 3 times by the state supreme court to change the way the schools are funded, and each time the weasels in the house and senate fix it just enough to back off the supreme court. the current governor is very weak politically, and has had poor relations with the legislative branch, so manages to get very little on his agenda done, in fact he specifically pushed for a small tax increase to make ohio more 'competive' by increasing state funds for research and develpoment and the measure went down to defeat, resoundingly. the legislative and executive branch have been held by the same political party for more then 10 years, and yet they fight like 2 spoiled children. the supreme court justices are politicized, and are almost ignored in the long run. i feel that the failures of the government in the area of education, the horrid poverty and lack of improvements in the applachian areas, the inadquate funding for health care, can and does present major problems for the future. some studies have shown that ohio had a 'brain drain' i.e. the graduates of the universities are leaving for better areas of the country. the infrastructure is in decay, the highways are not well maintained, lots of potholes, the electric grid in the privitization push has become a joke , remember the east coast blackout? it was poorly maintained ohio grid lines that led to the recent blackout (sorry new york, michigan , pennsylvania , the rest of the north east and ontario, and was much done to fix it, no, no not really, so keep batteries handy, it might happen again). the lack of sunny days in november, december, january and february is lousy. may, june, september and october are good months though.
    and the for those who are wondering why i'm staying despite my dissatification, i'm too many years into my career here to leave and make the money and benifits i do elsewhere, so i'm counting the years to retirement, so i can sell and move on. i wish i felt differently, i really do, i had high hopes when i moved to columbus, but it won't happen here. i'm really sorry about that.
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

I guess I totally can't disagree with with the points about education, taxes (Thank you governor "Boob Tax") and such. But at the same time, I've never lived anywhere else (expect 6 months in Arizona) so I guess I have always thought problems with the government and education were about the same in every state. Maybe I need to learn more about other states!

I guess I was thinking about the state more from a weather, scenery and "things to do" stand point. It would may depend on what exactly you are looking for in a "better state" to live in!

I moved this into General, but left the redirect in Cat General. This is where it belongs, and you will also get more responses this way.

What are you looking for? What are your criteria? Our area - Boston suburbs, for example, are a great place to live for culture and educational opportunities. We have four + seasons, so you have to like winter to live here. The downside for many is that property is very expensive, and going up all the time. Many towns and cities have good school systems, it does vary town to town. There's lots to do - Massachusetts has skiing, beaches, and everything in between, the Red Sox, Bruins and Patriots, lots and lots of historical places to visit, world-class museums and music venues, ponds, lakes and state parks ... we like living here. It's also within driving distance of New York City, and even Quebec if you feel the need for French culture!

do not live in california... well the part where I live is so expensive, around the baked grasses. you either get roasted or soggy...those people who live in the very top of california are lucky enough to live in "rainforests" (redwoods, cooler and greener...) -- good luck on state hunting!
    rest and sleep softly sweet locke..

I am looking for more of a community type of place. A safe place where I would feel comfortable enough to allow my children when I do have them to play outside. Also, where the people are friendly and the air is clean, less allergie, and the schools are good.

I live in Mississippi. The people are very nice here, and it's a nice place to live.. Well, besides the weather. It's always very hott here. We have very good food too lol!

Originally posted by Palomino21
    I am looking for more of a community type of place. A safe place where I would feel comfortable enough to allow my children when I do have them to play outside. Also, where the people are friendly and the air is clean, less allergie, and the schools are good.
    hmm a lot of grumpy people live down here because of unprediction weather well there's a small town I grew up in, A WONDERFUL communited little coast town, Pacifica. a lot of children, mothers and family-friend recreations there. (when I have a family, I DEFINITELY will get my *** back there! sorry couldn't further help you with where-to-live states, I only know all of their captials and bird names!
    rest and sleep softly sweet locke..

some things i like about ohio

Originally posted by Cincy'sMom
    I guess I was thinking about the state more from a weather, scenery and "things to do" stand point. It would may depend on what exactly you are looking for in a "better state" to live in! [/B]
    okay, now to be a bit more fair, there are things i do like about ohio. lake erie is getting cleaner, the swimming, picnicing and bird watching is really getting better. the 3 major cities, cleveland, cincinnatti and columbus are all different, with their own flavors and styles, culture and civic events. there are many things to do and see.
    and of course, alex the wonder dog, magic and mojo my cats are ohio natives, so there are good things about ohio.
    annie, i'd suggest that you look at the major newspapers in the states that you're considering. both the biggest city and the state capital, to see if there is a consistant pattern of complaints about a social problem. do you and your husband like winter, like winter sports, like skiing or snowmobiling. do you like fishing, hiking, mountains, desert or the seaside. i knew i wasn't right for the 'bigness' of a new york, or a chicago, all though i love to visit, and the time i lived in smaller towns i was restless without enough cultural events and excitement, so i looked at university towns, those were large enough to be interesting with cultural activities and small enough (under a million citizens) that i wouldn't be overwhelmed.
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

Well,I'll jump on This Bandwagon!!!

I live in a state where people spend literally Billions of dollars...
    Just to visit it 1 or 2 weeks a year!!

The Climate is Great!!!!

Shorts and Tees' All Year!!!

You have to replace your X-mas Ornaments w/Dolphins,Manatees,Flamingoes,etc.!!!

There are Great Schools where I live...They call them Magnet Schools...Are you Familiar???
    I know there is 1 private school where people come from all over for their kids to attend

Now,Lets' Get to Culture & Entertainment:
    Kravis Center...Theatre,Music,Symphony
    Ft.Lauderdale...Center for the Performing Arts...Same
    Museums.....Everywhere!!!!West Palm,Miami,Ft.lauderdale,Ocala
    Miami...South Beach
    Orlando...Disney
    Agriculture...The Everglades,Silver Springs,Lake Worth,Vero Beach
    Culture...Wellington.....Show Jumping,Polo
    Ocala....Thoroghbreds
    Ocala has Rolling Hills,More of a defined 4 seasons than the rest of the state....
    Sarasota.....Lots of Old Money!!!
    Though I will say...the West Coast is Beyond Flat...and has NO breeze...stay east if you can...
    Can you get into a community????
    There are millions w/what You want...
    Oh And did I mention Golf?????
    Florida was Built on a Golf Course

We have SOOOOOO Much Here!!!
    Its' like being on Vaca. every day...
    My Best Friend grew up in Oklahoma.....He Loves it Here!!!
    As Does Everybody Else!!
    The Deli Dog

I want to Honor All of Our Rainbow Bridge Furkids

Florida was one of the places on my list but I am afraid of the huricanes. California also sounds good except for the earth quakes. Washingon State is next since it is more moderate and seems to stay the same all year around, only it seems so wet. I guess I am being picky but I am ready to get out of Oklahoma. It's time for a new beginning and a fresh new start. Plus, allergies here are killing me.

If you want to avoid allergies, try the desert states! Any Utah or New Mexico residents wanna chime in?

Santa Fe,Here!!!!

Culture,Culture,Culture!!!
    Beauty,Beauty,Beauty...I lived there for 5 years....I Will Retire there!!!

Don't be fooled...Florida is Great
    Don't be Afraid of the hurricanes...you have 2 -10 days warning of them...Calif...No Warning on earthquake...Ok.....No Warning on Tornadoes in Ok.
    The Deli Dog

I want to Honor All of Our Rainbow Bridge Furkids