View Poll Results: do you trim your dog?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 60.71%
  • No

8 28.57%
  • Sometimes

3 10.71%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you trim your dog's fur?

Do you trim your dog's fur?

For those of you with a medium to long coated dog, do you trim their fur?

I'm constantly trimming Tango, I can't stand her to have long hair between her toes/pads, on her ears and too much fur on her feathering and tail. I trim her for both appearance and her comfort. If I keep her paw fur long she slips on the tile in my kitchen really easy and if I keep her ears, tail and feathering long she seems to get mats really easily no matter how many times daily I brush her so obviously those wouldn't be comfortable for her. I also just like to live with a neat/tidy looking dog and for some reason I really enjoy spending time grooming her and she seems to like it also....

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

my mom is constantly badgering me because I clip Happy so much lol but I hate it when he hair gets too long, I keep her ears, pants, feet, and feathering trimmed, she looks neater, pluse she HATES being brushed, so it reduses the amount of time I need to spend grooming her, plus she likes crawling in bushes if I dont trim her pants the branches get all cought up in them and are difficult to remove. we normally keep blairs hair trimmed short as he has a cording coat and after my mom had a Puli she never wants to deal with cords again lol he looks better with his hair long but it needs brushed twice a day, we are growing it out again, but that mainly for his up and comming freestyle routine to the song "hair" his head is trimed on a regular basis as he never developed a brow so the hair falls over his eyes and he cant see, the breed is SUPPOSED to develope a brow that forces the front hair backwards. the rest all have short hair lol
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

well with a sheltie you only have to trip them around the ears just to keep the tidy. apart from this i don't do any other triming

Thank you for the signature manda_moo87

snowy is broken coated - she was clipped once when she was 9 months but I think I will let the hair grow and never clip it again.

thanks k9krazee for the signature!

We have a Golden Retriever and a Great Pyrenees
    and we have to trim them all the time. they will get matted if we dont. As a matter of fact I should do it today.
    After we brush them if there is any matts I trim them out, trying not to make it noticeable.

Just me...
    just me

Peej gets groomed every month, so I don't trim his fur.

Bailey gets her foot hair, ear hair and butt fur trimmed every month or two.

No trimming needed for the Collies, but I give Murph, what I call the 10 minute kitchen do. Snip, Snip here, Snip, Snip there, to tidy him up, without too much attention to making it all even. Speed being the main goal. He ends up a lil' uneven, but since he's scruffy, it's not real noticable and he's very happy with the speed of the operation.

Par...

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

Oh yes. I always keep Autumn neatly trimmed. Only in the winter I let her paw fur grow long enough to keep her feet warm. You'd wonder why I got a toller if you see how much work I put into neatly trimming her legs and butt and ears, but I love grooming my dogs and they love it too. I condition my dogs as puppies to be neatly trimmed snots. I sit and brush them and teach them to stand on a crate to be brushed and the whole time I tell them how beautiful they'll look. Autumn really took to this as a pup so I started calling her Madonna. When I have her pose for something I always tell her to act like she's Madonna.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Lucy gets trimmed a couple times a month.Kodie doesnt need to be trimmed

right before i show zoey i have to trim her feet and her ears, but when she dosn't show i let it grow naturally, t.j. i don't have to cut, but we do cut his hair in hunting season or he gets burs (SP)
    in his hair
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

I only have to trim the long hair off Mandys butt! It gets pretty long and can get a little messy, especially after she just had UTI and pees all over it!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Nebo gets his feet trimmed. Can't stand fuzzy feet! I also trim a tiny bit above the feet on his legs too. Other than that, no trimming. I wouldn't dream of ever clipping his coat shorter.

Reggie and Sydney get shaved (by me) every 1-2 months usually a really short version of a schnauzer cut.

I don't have any "groomable" dogs Someday...

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

Originally posted by wolf_Q
    Nebo gets his feet trimmed. Can't stand fuzzy feet! I also trim a tiny bit above the feet on his legs too. Other than that, no trimming. I wouldn't dream of ever clipping his coat shorter.

Reggie and Sydney get shaved (by me) every 1-2 months usually a really short version of a schnauzer cut.
    I don't like fuzzt feet either
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

every 6 weeks
    Kari (me), Kiera (B&T Coonhound), Jesse (cocker), Jada (Ball Python), Derek (Betta)

Add Glitter to your Photos

~Kari~