Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A terrible scare, yesterday.......

A terrible scare, yesterday.......

I'm going to copy and paste a message I sent to some of my cat friends, yesterday to explain all of this. What I can tell you, before you even start reading is that Mimi is eating, resting well (right at my feet) in the midst of the precious dogs that love her so much, with very little interest in going near the door. I did walk out with her this morning, where she did her business and came right back inside. Everything is ok, if my heart will ever stop pounding.......

It has been a frightening afternoon here, and I know some of you are going to be thinking "I told you so"(in regards to having indoor/outdoor cats), but please don't say it to me right now. I'm far too upset for that. Helen and I drove into the driveway around 5:45 and I immediately noticed two dogs in our front yard.....not our dogs. One was shaking something and pawing at the ground in the front flower bed. It was my Mimi he was shaking. I immediately laid on the horn, threw the car into park, jumped out and started screaming at him. I guess it startled him just enough for him to let go for a second and he did, and she, bless her 16 year old heart, ran up a tree. Only problem is she ran way, way up, and appeared to be struggling to get there. We got the 16 ft extension ladder, which I held, and Helen climbed, but we couldn't get close enough to her to reach her and she wasn't budging. The top of the ladder was probably still 6-7 feet from the limb she was on. She panted and she was breathing so hard, but I had no way of knowing if that was fright, pain, or a combination of both. We desperately called our friends Randy and Sherry to see if they would bring their pickup truck over. We couldn't find any of them. Our next door neighbor who has a pickup truck wasn't at home. I called another neighbor and she was home, but she said she couldn't drive their old pickup because it had a clutch. Well, I could, and I did. Drove the truck up under the tree, moved some things in the back of it and got the ladder in there and secure, and bless my darling baby girl's heart, she climbed up that ladder and was able to get Mimi with one hand. Thank goodness Mimi was willing to turn around on the limb and move towards her hand. She adores Helen and I think it worked better than if Scott or I had been trying. She rode down the ladder on Helen's shoulder, purring her sweet little heart out. I guess their bond got even better. Helen was scared to death. She hates heights, but she was bound and determined that I wasn't going to climb the ladder. So I secured it and held on tight and she did the hard part. Mimi didn't even scratch her.

She has no puncture wounds, no signs of anything except being tired and maybe a bit stiff. This dog appeared to be a Boxer, and when I started screaming, it and the other dog that was with it, ran off. I did notice that they appeared to be healthy, but I couldn't tell if either was wearing a collar. Frankly, I didn't look. Scott and I did go looking after he got back home, but we didn't find them.

Mimi has eaten, is curled up in the living room now, and if I can possibly make it happen, she will not go outside without one of us with her again. She was right here in our own front yard. We never have stray dogs. Turns out that Butter was outside at the same time, but he was sleeping on the porch next door. He might have inflicted some damage on that dog, but the 5 lb girl, being so old, didn't have it in her. All I know is that we were very lucky to have driven up exactly when we did.

Logan

My good friend, Rachel, put it all in perspective in her email back to me this morning:

Poor, poor Mimi. Such a sweet heart and was probably so unsuspecting of the danger when the dogs came round otherwise she would have gotten away before they had a chance to pounce on her. I'm convinced the hand of God directed you home at the exact right time. Just think, even if you had been at home, you more than likely would not have know what was going on out front. This was split second timing. Mimi must have her own personal guardian angel.

Yikes -- what a scary thing to have happen! I'm so glad you got home in time to break that up and that your Mimi is safe and sound. Extra treats for your girl today!

Logan you must have been scared to death, I know I would have been.
    I'm just so glad to hear that sweet girl of yours is ok, she is one lucky girl!
    Skritches for your darling Mimi.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

I'm so glad Mimi is okay.

I am crying and cringing at the mental picture of that poor littl Mimi girl.

I am so glad that she seems OK after her ordeal.

Thank you all for your good wishes........things are terrific this morning and Mimi seems to be just fine.

On no! Poor little Mimi!! I agree that she probably had not even the faintest inkling to be afraid of the dogs since the ones she knows are so gentle. I'm so glad she's ok and you got there when you did. Almost sounds like you got there right at the beginning or the dogs might have done more damage.

And Helen - my goodness what a brave girl you have there! It's so sweet that even though she's afraid of heights she wasn't about to let you go up the ladder.

I just hope the next cat these dogs come across is more like a Butter so they learn their lesson and leave cats alone from now on!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Oh no!!!!!!! So much luck!!!!! I am besides me when I think of what could have happened. A cat's best chance is to run up and away and to hide- and that dog got her already

I am so glad that you had that introductory part in your mail telling that sweet Mimi was ok!!!! I am so glad that she recognized that Helen only wanted to help her. She must have a very good basical trust or she would not have moved from this tree.

Oh, you will be so happy that she is ok now- and so am I. Sending some scritchies for Butter too ( and telling him that next time there is someone whom he would be allowed to bite and scratch )

OMG, what a horrible thing to happen!! I would have freaked out totally ! I admire you for being so brave and finding the solution of how to free poor Mimi . I agree with the others, you were "called home", the timing was to perfect to say you were just lucky!!
    I am so glad that Mimi is okay; I hope this won't be to traumatical for her .
    Did you take her to the vet? I would ask to give her a tetanus-shot, just in case....
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

What a terrible experience for all of you! I'm so glad that poor little Mimi has spent a comfortable night and seems to be fine today.

The girls send the gentlest headbumpies to Mimi after her ordeal and BIG PURRS to you and Helen!

Poor Mimi. I probably would of died from fright had I witnessed that.

How brave of Helen to go up the ladder. I hope Mimi is a-okay, inside and out. *hugs*
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I am sooo glad that Mimi is ok This could of been a much worse situation if you never showed up when you did ..your very lucky!!Helen,you done such a great job in getting Mimi down...I think you may have concord your own fear of heights. It goes to show that we will go to great lengths to make sure our pets are happy and safe.God bless your little heart.I hope Mimi is back to herself soon!!

Feel better soon treats from Felix and his Meowmie

Felix's Catster Page- http://www.catster.com/?150963

Felix's Website Page- http://www.felinefelix.piczo.com

Beer's Dogster Page- http://www.dogster.com/?168340

Wow! How terrifying! I couldn't imagine what it would be like to watch your cat in that situation.

Thank God that everything turned out ok.

Kudos to everyone for helping when they were needed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ladies, we need to stop comparing men to dogs. Dogs are loyal!" Wanda Sykes

How scary!!! I'm so glad that you got home when you did and that Mimi is now safe and doing well.