Thread: House training

House training

I have had Jemi' for a long time, and she will not quit pooping in the house. She refuses to go outside, and she poops inside at least 2-3 times a day. My parent's are getting angry at the both of us. Her for pooping, and me for not figuring out what to do. We have brought her to the vet, and they got a stool sample, and it showed up to have tapeworm segments, but nothing to be concerned about
    Should I get a fresh stool sample and get a second opinion. Before, Jemi' was not gaining any weigh, but she has now, just the pooping will not stop.

I will take any suggestion at all! I am desperate. Please PT'ers, I need help.
    Thanks in advance.
    Steph and Jemi'

My Maggie is like this too (she's about 2-1/2 years old and otherwise mostly well behaved). I think I've about decided that the reason Maggie does this behavior is that she thinks if she poops outside, that's the end of walk-time. My husband is especially bad about coming straight back in the house after the girls have done both No. 1 and 2. I try to stay a little longer so that they can sniff and play a bit, but still probably have cut walks a bit shorter than I should. Based on other posts here, I'm going to try extending walks/playtime past poop-time longer than it has been, and hopefully that will help.

Good luck! I know it's very frustrating to be cleaning up all that poop all the time.

How old is she?

You definitely need to start over on housetraining her. Take her out after meals and do not go back inside until she has pooped. Take her out before bedtime, and do the same thing. Be extremely vigilant, and if she even begins to squat, whisk her outside, and don't come back in until she has done her business outside. If you have to, keep her on a leash an attched to your wrist so you know where she is and what she's doing at all times. This is up to you!

Jemi obviously thinks it is fine to poop inside. You need to immediately and consistently correct this. Praise her like crazy when she poops outside. Play afterwards, that's also a nice reward.

Great advice Karen. I agree!

I too was wondering how old she is and excuse my bad memory, what breed is she?
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

I agree with above advice! Treat her like a little puppy, don't take your eyes off of her. If you can't watch her, keep her in a crate.

lv4dogs and Karen, from what Steph told me, I think by now she's nearly a year, and she's a small mixed breed.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

I think I remember who she is. This is the girl that you've had problems with? She has trouble keeping weight on?
    If so I strongly suggest you get her to the vet for a FULL check up including bloodwork & all.

Are her meals regulated? Like do you feed only a certain amount at a certain time?
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Quote Originally Posted by lv4dogs
    I think I remember who she is. This is the girl that you've had problems with? She has trouble keeping weight on?
    If so I strongly suggest you get her to the vet for a FULL check up including bloodwork & all.

Are her meals regulated? Like do you feed only a certain amount at a certain time?
    Yes, she is the girl who was having problems keeping weight on. We fixed that problem, the fat content in the dog food was not high enough, so we just bought a different dog food. She has now gained weight. I was gone from PT so long, I never got to repost about her.

Her meals are regulated, 9:00 and around 4:00. She get about a cup and a half of food.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen
    How old is she?

You definitely need to start over on housetraining her. Take her out after meals and do not go back inside until she has pooped. Take her out before bedtime, and do the same thing. Be extremely vigilant, and if she even begins to squat, whisk her outside, and don't come back in until she has done her business outside. If you have to, keep her on a leash an attched to your wrist so you know where she is and what she's doing at all times. This is up to you!

Jemi obviously thinks it is fine to poop inside. You need to immediately and consistently correct this. Praise her like crazy when she poops outside. Play afterwards, that's also a nice reward.
    Thanks Karen, I will start to keep her on a leash, and with me constatnly. She won't like that too much, but she will have to learn. She will also get a good play time after going outside, and treats!

Quote Originally Posted by lv4dogs
    I too was wondering how old she is and excuse my bad memory, what breed is she?
    Jemi' is 1 year old, and she has chihuahua and rat terrier in her (that is what her mom is), and I am thinking maybe bichon frise, because she looks so much like Sammy. Her previous owners don't know who the daddy was though.

Thanks everyone for the help and the comments. Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you all..
    Steph and Jemi'