Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: **Rant**

**Rant**

GRR! I am really mad at my mom.

She comes to pick us up from my dad's and I go, "Mom, have you at least changed Charlie's water since I've been to your house? (Which was Wednesday). She goes "No."

Now, I may be wrong, but the water needs to be changed every day in my mind. She just DOESN'T UNDERSTAND that she NEEDS to take more responsibility with this bird. The cage hasn't been CLEANED since I've been here. It makes me so mad. I know the cage is supposed to be cleaned every week, but GRR! She makes me so mad!

But THEN-- oh yes, there's a "but then"...

We go to KMart to get my bro some jeans. I ask for this Digi camera (Canon Powershot a10 I think...) They KNOW I've wanted one for so long... and it was on sale for $105... I was in shock! I was like "Mom, this is the best camera you can get, it comes with a hook up and a memory card." She says no, she can't afford it. I understand, and we keep moving.

Don't call me selfish, but wouldn't you be mad? Keep reading.

So we can't afford this camera right now (understandable.) But then, she goes and picks up a rug (FOR OUR CARPETED LIVING ROOM) and some stupid cushions, and all together, she buys this crap and it comes out to $167.

AND WE CAN'T AFFORD IT, HUH?

Then on top of that, she buys my bro some Pokemon cards.

twitter.
    http://twitter.com/meganxxjo

now she's slowly opening
    new eyes.

She hasn't changed the bird's water since Wednesday?!?! WHAT?!?!

Is the water in a bowl or in a water bottle? If its in a water bottle, it can stay ok for several days because the bird cannot get anything in it, and mold/bacteria takes longer to grow in closed bottles, however, if its in a water bowl, it needs to be changed once a day at minimum. I change my birds' water sometimes even 3 times a day, because they like to throw food in it, which can cause bacteria growth, and can make the animal sick. Bacteria grows FAST in water, and not changing his water can be harmful for his health. You NEED to have your mother change his water on daily bases. Seriously.

Food and water should be changed daily.

I know, and I'm trying so hard. She can't get it through her head that it needs to be changed. And Charlie has a dish, not a bottle. Well I cleaned up his cage and his water and food dishes.

I was putting the paper on the bottom, and I taped the paper (I always do, just so it stays on) and she goes "You don't need that much tape and paper" and I was like "Mom, if you aren't going to clean his cage, then I am, and I will do what I want."

GRRRR! I'm off to lecture her now.

twitter.

now she's slowly opening
    new eyes.

Be careful about the tape. Some tapes are toxic and cockatiels like to chew on such things. I've never taped the paper onto their cage tray...........its stays there just fine. What kind of paper are you using? Kitchen paper towel, or newspaper with black print only make the best and safest cage liners for birds.

Yep, we use newspaper. And I only put tape on the side that Charlie doesn't step on. He likes to read the newspaper... hehe..

Please don't be mad at me about this whole situation..

twitter.

now she's slowly opening
    new eyes.

Originally posted by ILoveMyAbbyGirl

Please don't be mad at me about this whole situation..
    I'm not mad at you at all. Just upset about your mom not changing his water for 4 days. That is something that's obvious.........common sense, that one should know even if they don't know a thing about birds in general. Bacteria grows fast in water, and it HAS to be changed EVERY day, no matter what. Birds can get sick by drinking dirty water, just like humans can. The rule is, if you won't drink it yourself, don't give it to the bird either.

Well, ask her if she wants to drink the same water every day for a week that has backwash in it as well as a myriad of other things. EEWww.

And from a mother's point of view: She's trying so very hard to make her new apartment feel like a home. I have area rugs on my wall to wall carpets... thats because these areas are either
    1. high traffic areas and I want to protect the carpet from wear/constant stains
    2. The carpet already has stains that I want to cover... my bedroom has an area carpet because I dropped a hot iron that melted the fibers (I dropped it a few times) and I spilled a bottle of India Ink on the same carpet. I'm a klutz, what can I say?
    3. The carpet is not something she'd have chosen herself, but the area rug will blend the furniture and her carpet ok and she'll be able to live with it.
    I have bought these carpets while shopping with my kids. Each time, they wanted something too that got answered with "We don't have the money." What you don't know is that perhaps your mom worked overtime last week just so that she could get this. Ot that she saved $20 here and there just for the carpet.

Now, that said, if she bought the carpet on the spur of the moment, then you have reason to be annoyed.

I've thought about that camera for my daughter, but won't because she'll be costing me a fortune in ink and paper to print everything or another fortune running to Walmart for prints every week. She'd take a gazillion pictures (like I do) but instead of chosing one or two to print, she'd print them all I know that and so does she.

Originally posted by popcornbird
    I'm not mad at you at all. Just upset about your mom not changing his water for 4 days. That is something that's obvious.........common sense, that one should know even if they don't know a thing about birds in general. Bacteria grows fast in water, and it HAS to be changed EVERY day, no matter what. Birds can get sick by drinking dirty water, just like humans can. The rule is, if you won't drink it yourself, don't give it to the bird either.
    Yep, that's what I told her. If you won't drink it, don't make him. Hopefully she gets it now. Charlie's peacefully sleeping on my shoulder now.

twitter.

now she's slowly opening
    new eyes.

Awww. He sounds so cute! I thought we were getting pics of him on Saturday (today).

Dad forgot to bring the digi cam home. That's why I asked my mom to buy that one for me Sorry guys. Maybe we can hold off till next weekend?

twitter.

now she's slowly opening
    new eyes.

Awww. I was so looking forward to seeing pics of him today! Guess I'll have to be patient.

I know! And I've been DYING to show off my birdie boy... Sorry guys! Maybe I can get him to bring home the cam sometime this week.

twitter.

now she's slowly opening
    new eyes.

Now, that said, if she bought the carpet on the spur of the moment, then you have reason to be annoyed.
    I'm sorry, but speaking as a single parent, I have to disagree with that. I don't think a child ever has a right to be annoyed because his/her parent refused to buy him/her a $100 digital camera. Perhaps the parent has good reason to say no.

Parents are in charge of the money, the bills, making ends meet. Parents are also the ones setting the budget and prioritizing spending. If her mom felt that items for the home were more important than a digital camera, then that is her right, as a parent. It is not a child's right to expect expensive purchases that aren't necessary.

My son wants a cell phone. He is not getting one. I have valid reasons for saying no, and that is my right as a parent. I feel he is not old enough to need one, or responsible enough to take care of one. I also think the ongoing expense of a cell phone bill is more than we can afford ... the monthly bills, the extra minutes, etc. Just like the good examples of the printer paper and cartridges associated with the digital camera. Many times the initial cost of the item is small compared with the ongoing expenses.

Maybe you could offer to pay part of the cost of the camera yourself? If you get an allowance, you could save the money and show your mom that you can contribute some money towards the purchase. Or, you could offer to do extra chores or work to "pay" for part of the camera. Parents often want to see responsibility and initiative displayed, more so than they just don't want to spend the money.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

AMEN Twisterdog! I say if you need it find odd jobs and buy it yourself.

Why can't Charlie stay where you are?
    I'm sorry. Your mom doesn't sound like a very responsible person. Like PCB, I change Piper's water about 3 times a day. I can't stand water to be *that* dirty; same with the dog's water.